How to stop my coop getting crowded?

• 3 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How to stop my coop getting crowded?
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:22 »
I have 2 coops and a total of 12 chickens. Ten of them sleep in one coop and two sleep in the other however they are not sectioned off from one another. So how can I divide the use of the 2 houses? The older lot have started to use the other coop as a laying area but still return to the main coop at night. Im guessing the only way is to section it off and divide the flock either that or lock one of the doors in the daytime and force them into the other coop but then that may get too crowded. Ive seen other chickens on farms that seem to have lots of coops in one run so its obviously common practise. Do chickens like to have their own home and space they like to claim as their own or are they generally happy to sleep anywhere?

Thanks for any advice  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How to stop my coop getting crowded?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:40 »
I have two coops (each big enough to hold 20 hens) and most of my girls sleep in just the one coop. Before I got these coops I had 6 smaller coops all supposed to house 6 hens and often used to find 18 crammed in just one with the rest of the birds sleeping in the trees.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47 »
Thanks for the reply joyfull, im pleased to hear im not the only one. I guess the good way of looking at it is if I got a mite infestation then I just close up one coop and move them to the other (im sure theyd just walk round their old coop in circles looking for a way in lol). If I hatch any more chicks I shall introduce them to the less occupied coop.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 18:31 »
I have a wooden house suitable for 8 hens with a nest box on either side. I have 7 bantams which all manage to squeeze into one nest box to sleep leaving the rest of the place empty!

xx
Red Stop

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 15:09
by pipandjack
xx
when will my chickens stop the lay?

Started by Green man on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 17:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
stop fighting

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 12:45
by chelle
xx
Dirty stop out...

Started by marygall on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 21:53
by raeburg

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 29 queries.