A quick question about cleaning

• 4 Replies

Chippet

A quick question about cleaning
« on: December 16, 2012, 14:20 »
My hens free range daily, otherwise they are in a coop with gravel, I keep it clean the best I can and then occasionally do a through clean when I hose the whole lot down, it suddenly occurred you me that I should maybe protect myself with a mask? Thanks :)

ehs284

Re: A quick question about cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 16:32 »
Probably a good idea, but I have a similar sounding situation and don't use one.
The problem with masks is that you need the right sort; a dust mask, for example, can hold dust which is then affected by the water and the released gases are breathed in. They can also affect breathing and there is a need to consider how to fit and take them off without contaminating the face, which isn't always easy. The face mask which is a clear visor fastened to a hard hat is probably best (in the situation of hosing and brushing) as it will stop the spray/aerosols impacting on the face (although not stop them being inhaled). With care you shouldn't get a major aerosol problem using a normal hose, but do remember that everything you wear will be contaminated by any spray and should be taken off before re-entering your house.

Chippet

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 18:41 »
Although I do enter the house wearing those clothes, they do go in the wash straight away.
Is there anything in particular I'm putting myself at risk of?
thanks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 20:08 »
there is nothing you can catch from your chickens but if you are asthmatic then you may need to take precautions against any dust etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 18:36 »
Ah, Joyful is right about there not being specific transmissible diseases, but there are a lot of opportunistic infections. The obvious group are faecal bacteria and dried poo dust into the mouth is the route. This could include Salmonella, Campylobacter and E.coli. Some parasitic infections are also easily spread this way, but remember that for most of these pathogens you need to swallow a large number and your body will easily cope with the occasional few.
A worrying development is that a growing number of European breeders have hens carrying MRSA (about 8% in the Netherlands) and this is easily spread via dust. I've not heard of any non-commercial people like ourselves having this problem, but it's worth assuming that it is only a matter of time.
Should you be culling and eating out of tins? No. Just keep on acting sensibly as you are doing. The time you are likely to get most contamination is when you take off your outdoor shoes/boots. When you take off your outdoor clothing it's probably a good idea to wash your face as well as your hands. Oh .. and a hat is a good idea, especially if you've more hair then me! :lol:

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
cleaning question

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 00:34
by TeaPots
xx
Quick question

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 21:30
by bantam novice
xx
Quick egg Question

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 10:18
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.