Treats?

• 62 Replies

8doubles

Re: Treats?
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 09:35 »
Strawbs ,rasps and plums go down well with the chooks but they still don`t eat raw apple
apart from after  watching the blackbirds attacking the well rotten windfalls.

They have a taste then but i think it`s for the cider content rather than for food. :D

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 09:57 »
I've got some strawbs in the fridge, think I'll go out (as soon as, ahem, I have made it out of my p-jams) and chicken test them  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 10:02 »
mine won't touch strawbs or grapes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 10:12 »

I wish mine didn't like strawberries, my three girls ate all my strawberries in the garden this summer, i'll be transplanting them down to the allotment soon  :D

LadyPluck

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39 »
I tried them with corn scraped off the cob last week and they turned up their noses. This week I left it on the cob (as I had now bought a little hayrack for bunnies) and they were mad for it!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 22:34 »
I wonder if they prefer the corn cooked as opposed to raw? Or maybe it just depends on each girlies preferences? Ours have only ever had it cooked so far as I never thought of giving it raw for some reason  :unsure: Also wondering if tinned corn is OK as I think it contains salt?

Jan.x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 06:58 »
I buy the sort thats tinned without salt and sugar added and rinse it before feeding to my girls.

bexy

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04 »
I was giving mine tinned sweetcorn which they loved.Then i discovered a large bag of frozen sweetcorn kernals for around 70p (Te$co$ blue and white value range).
The bag last about 2 weeks,i take a small amount out each day and give it to them once thawd which is about 10 mins.
They go absolutely mad for it and loads better than the tinned stuff,not only a fraction of the price but a lot healthier because there is no added salt etc. :)

Oliveview

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44 »
Ours love cooked veg- and very wet sloppy soaked bread.  The turkeys wait at the fence too for their share of the veg  now, the turkeys especially like very soggy bread and well boiled potato peelings.  Yesterday our neighbour walked out of her outhouse with a red bowl with her washing in it to hang out, the hens saw the red bowl and rushed down to the gate to wait for their food- I used to use my red washing up bowl to take the scraps down to the hens.
Our satsumas are ripening and the hens go daft when we pick some of the fruit. When we had the olive tree (chopped it down last winter) the hens would eat the ripened fruit as it fell to the ground- and olives straight off the tree are very bitter! It didn´t do their poo any good- we had lots of jet black runny poo!
Of all the treats though I think they like the big grubs we find now and again, they are the size of a thumb- the hens go daft when they get one of them :)
Pamela

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 12:59 »
At this time of year I can usually find a pumpkins going cheap in the supermarket.  (Last year Asda's had so many leftover they sold them for 1p each).  My girls love them and they last ages!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 17:58 »
When I routinely moved the pen around the garden some months ago I forgot to routinely move the potted blueberry as well - BIG MISTAKE, my girls appear to love them as much as I do.  Once I had got over my annoyance I was rolling with laughing as they jumped up and down trying to get the ones on the higher branches.  I also found my apples ripening on the miniature trees had strange peck marks all over them mmmmmmmmm wonder how that happened  :D

hillfooter

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 18:23 »
I've got some strawbs in the fridge, think I'll go out (as soon as, ahem, I have made it out of my p-jams) and chicken test them  :D

So Amanda how do the chx look in your pyjamas?
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 19:54 »
Strawbs ,rasps and plums go down well with the chooks but they still don`t eat raw apple
apart from after  watching the blackbirds attacking the well rotten windfalls.

They have a taste then but i think it`s for the cider content rather than for food. :D

These must be rare breed chx as I thought all chx loved apples that's why my Grandfather used to keep them in the orchard they disposed of the windfalls. 

I often toss an apple to mine which they love and is great from several perspectives, it keeps them active foraging rather than having all their feed served on a plate.  Active chx are happy chx I always think.  If ACV is supposed to be good for them then surely an apple must be doublely so.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 23:06 »
joyfull, bexy, both fab ideas as alternatives to on the cob stuff and much easier when in a rush, thank you  :)

Jan.x

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 07:45 »
Pumpkins for 1p :mad: I paid 4 euros yesterday, and knowing my lot they'll turn their noses up ::)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
How many treats?

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:47
by SMD66
xx
Too many treats

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:28
by chuckie.egg
xx
Treats, treats and more treats

Started by Beano on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 11:33
by Arnfields
xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.