Chicken Treats

• 12 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« on: December 21, 2008, 19:54 »
Hi I am new to this site and thought I would pose my first question........

I have been asking around some friends (who have chickens) for ideas of occassional treats I can give to my 6 girls.

So far I have been told they like porridge (a winner :D ) and grated cheese (also a winner :D ) does anyone else know of any treats I can offer them?

On the flip side is there anything I should look to avoid? :(
Emma

Jellyhead

Chicken Treats
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 19:58 »
Mine love spaghetti, rice, fruit and boiled peelings :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

karlooben

Chicken Treats
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 20:09 »
mine love anything u can throw at them well not literally , although i did throw some lumps of soil { full of worms yes yes yes i did go worm hunting for my girls today hehehehe it was fun } into the run an i hit one of them on the head by mistake  :oops:  poor girly .

hang up cabbages ,marrows , they are brillant boredom breakers :)
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 20:33 »
Mine als go mad for spaghetti , and lettuce, scrambled eggs, a bit of soaked bread very occaisonally, they would have enjoyed my yorkshire pud today if i were any good at it!
Kitkat
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 20:58 »
I've not seen one yet though that would eat an onion but that's about all they won't eat!

garom

Chicken Treats
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 00:27 »
Mine love mealworms,brussel sprout leaves and yesterday enjoyed home made macaroni cheese
The MEWW's = 1 x Husband 3 x Kids 1 x springer spaniel 2 x Cats 5 x Chickens

freda

Chicken Treats
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 21:06 »
Have you tried giving raisins/sultanas? Mine go bonkers for them and as soon as you touch the back door handle they come a running - and my that is soooo funny! Even from in their coop they hear the touch on the door handle and that is a good 80 foot away!
I also hung my partially stripped brussel sprout stems up and they absolutely loved playing/eating from this!
Any other treat suggestions I shall be eagerly watching as my girls need a little extra during these cold few days (-2 and -3 here in Wolverhampton)
Hellooo! I am new to this site and relatively new to keeping chickens but what fun we are having! would love more and hubby coming around to my way of thinking! Kids in love with them!

poultrygeist

Chicken Treats
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56 »
Just a word of caution, especially if feeding cheese or other high fat foods. Don't overdo it or they'll get a bit portly and may stop laying. As long as you keep them as treats you should be ok. :D

Ours have had brussels stalks complete with leaves for days and keep revisiting the, for a bit more. Brilliant value. :)
Rob 8)

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:22 »
ours like bok choy if we don't eat it in time, also radishes chopped up ( we've got some the size of beetroot!
Tortillas all ripped up - for a very special treat.
Oranges chopped up - I don't give them often dunno why.

woodburner

Chicken Treats
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28 »
What they like most will depend on what they get normally, and what they need. My lot actually got sniffy about worms in the autumn. I think the rain had forced them out of the ground, so they had had their fill of them!
In the height of summer (what summer? :tongue2: ) they left the corn but ate the wheat, I guess they needed protein more than carbs as they were growing.
Right now their run is so bare they'd probably go crazy for greens but earlier in the year they weren't noticably interested.
For my lot I reckon fruit (blackberries, currants, smart price raisins, spare strawberries and raspberries will always go down well as they don't have any access normally.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 19:29 »
Mine love frozen (and defrosted obviously) sweetcorn or peas. We had a glut of sweetcorn in the Summer so took it all off the cobs and froze it in bags. Now it is keeping them going through the winter. I mix a little in with pasta or rice, or even porridge, but they pick all the sweetcorn out first!

I also gave them steamed sprouts on Christmas Day (well we all have to have them don't we?!)

Jacky.

beanie

Chicken Treats
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 20:07 »
i feed mine salad bits all cut up - they particularly like tomatoes and cucumber i also give them a slice of soggy bread a day - this way i can slip in some grit and there vitamins it think its called citricidal (i could go up and look but cant be bothered!)

They also love pasta - run around the garden with a bit of spaghetti.....and lately i have been digging over my veg patch they love the worms......but i am nervous i am gonna catch one of them with my spade!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 21:49 »
Spaghetti seems to be the all time favourite.

A great worm substitute!

xx
Chicken Treats

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:31
by matilda duck
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.