Even if you buy a new henhouse -spray against red mite!

• 2 Replies

Foxy

Well how frustrating!!  :x Bought a new small broody house dead cheap had been outside for a while so I thought OK why not. Powdered broody, popped her in....took her out into a second broody house after chicks had hatched. Thought right clean out the first house and and well what a shock! red mite!!! the house has been empty for a few days so they must of been active looking for a meal, there were loads!!!
Straight away sprayed house with strong stuff but of course had to move new mum and chicks AGAIN into a growers shed this time whilst cleaned the second house.
I have powdered gently even the chicks, (like rolling little dough balls in flour! :D ) Powdered mum applied a tiny amount of frontline spray to her back(away from where the chicks would be) and added garlic into the drinking water.
Checked on chicks this morning and they are darting around very fit and healthy...what a relief!!!!
The red mite had even got into the second broody ark when I transferred mum must've been in the straw although only a few. Still only takes one! :evil:
Interestingly I asked my OH to see if he could spot any with a torch -he couldn't....but I knew they were there when I pointed one out he was really surprised -so a timely warning to everyone even though you think you dont have any or buy a new house treat the house as if they were there. If I hadn't spotted them would have lost a whole clutch of chicks in about 3 days. I think this warm muggy weather is perfect for them. So if you have a hen -acting a bit off, not laying or a bit thin and pale, red mite could be the problem and as my OH discovered they are not that easy to spot.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14 »
when we had mite last year, they must sometimes still stay on the chook day times as I don't think they fly, but even the fence posts had them and they are yards from the house!

But they can live in trees after they get carried there by wild birds, then they can drop onto chooks or sheds and boy, do they multiply fast!!!!!  Worse than rabbits!!!!!

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:52 »
I powdered my chooks and house yesterday for the first time and was a little nervous to how much to use, I covered every nook and cranny in the house but didn't know how much to put on the girls, its very dusty and and was getting down on my chest a bit (stupid me didn't wear a mask) can it get down on the girls chest and cause problems???

sorry if this is a daft question (got plenty more where that come from :lol: )
Katt

xx
red mite spray

Started by marran on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mite spray ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 13:14
by Alby
xx
anti mite spray

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 21:45
by broodyhen
xx
Spray on mite treatment?

Started by annr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 20:35
by grinling

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 38 queries.