Visiting birds on allotments..

• 5 Replies

agoentis

« on: May 29, 2008, 12:24 »
I have an allotment and would like to start keeping chickens.  It's a large site and there's prenty of room, so no problems there and I have permission.

My question, is how often do you need to attend to the birds? If it's a definite every day concern, then I don't think I'll be able to make it. If however, you're able to attend every 2-3 days, then it'll be possible for me.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this?

Thanks

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32 »
You need to visit twice a day as a bare minimum and everyday. So forget the idea of keeping chickens.

Porffor

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:42 »
Definately a twice a day need there. Same as a cat and dog. :)  

If you don't close and open the door to the house they'll be fox food very quickly. There are door openers you can get (around £100 for one with a timer) but they are live animals that need care. I have read reports of the door openers without a time (opens at dawn, shuts at dusk) locking hens out in bad weather and opening too early/late and foxes sat waiting!  :shock:

Might be worth having them at home if you have a garden, or waiting till you are in a better position to commit to animals.

VM

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 21:11 »
We're just about to start keeping chickens on our allotment plot. Think the shutting up etc is a different issue on the allotment as they have to be in a confined run, rather than free range. The whole run has to be fox proof, so they don't need putting away at night in the same way - but do need regular visiting for food and water. People on our site who already have them tend to be people who, like my partner, go down to the allotment every day anyway to water in greenhouses/polytunnels etc. But I'm told they can be left for the odd day without harm.

You do have to put a lot of work into making a fox-proof run and be prepared to find it doesn't work and learn from mistakes. One person at our site has an electric fence round his, powered from a car battery, but I'm hoping we don't have to go that far.

Is there anyone else you could share chickens with? That was deciding factor for us - finding that someone on a neighbouring plot was desperately keen on chickens but sometimes has to travel for work. So we're getting them as a joint enterprise and can cover for each other when he has to go away or when, god forbid, we want a holiday...

But obviously they are a bigger commitment than vegetables.

agoentis

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:07 »
Thanks for the ideas. We've just taken on the plot and weren't thinking of keeping the birds until we've settled in and met the neighbours anyhow.

Even the people who state you need to tend to the birds at least twice a day must be away on occasion (holiday, ill etc.)

Our plan now (subject to fine tuning) is to get to know our neighbours and find out who's willing to help and build a rock-solid run.

I think you're right regarding the letting out and locking up. I can't especially see why the chickens can't perch in a coop with a door - I thought that with free range they were meant to be able to go outside at any time! We have a 210 sq yard plot, so are able to allow a decent amount of space for the chickens.

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:22 »
I'm lucky, I've got a big garden to keep chickens in, I got the lottie to leave more space for chooks  :roll:  :lol:
I wouldn't keep chickens on the lottie though as it's not secure, and chicken theft is rife.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Sam Fox been a visiting ???

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 08:43
by peggyprice
xx
Visiting

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 22:27
by danfinn1
xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
new to allotments and chickens

Started by seanandlaura on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:18
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.