Spray on mite treatment?

• 4 Replies

annr

Spray on mite treatment?
« on: October 28, 2020, 20:30 »
My poor little bantam has been moulting and having had a good look, she has mites as well. I'm nervous of using DE. Is there something that can be sprayed directly on to the skin? Most of the things I've found are for the coop and say don't spray on to chicken directly.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Spray on mite treatment?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 22:29 »
Hi Ann.  DE is safe and effective for dusting birds, but if you don’t want to handle it yourself, you can add it to a dust bath area.

What is making you nervous about it, if you don’t mind me asking   :)

annr

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 14:42 »
Just that there seems to be so much differing advice about DE and the danger of the dust causing respiratory problems and others saying it doesn't actually work. I have put it in dust baths for them and sometimes in the bedding on the coop floor. Looking today, it looks like lice :( I'm hoping for a dry day to put dust bath out for them - a bit cramped in coop - and they usually prefer making their own in their herb garden, but with all this rain, that ain't gonna happen! I'll try again with the DE. I dusted her a week or so back, but she has a lot of white stuff on her head and neck (presumably not DE!!) and more generally. Didn't have my specs just now, but looked like little white sausages on her. Also bit nervous of puffing DE on her head. I need a helper, don't I, more hands, so it doesn't get in her eyes. Thanks for your response. I am indeed a newbie :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 16:46 »
Hi Ann.  We were all newbies once, so don’t worry.  It is far better to ask questions and act, than ignore problems and hope they go away  :)

It could be lice eggs which are usually laid in clusters on the base of feathers.  They particularly go for the rear end around the vent, but are sometimes around the neck. 

If she is at the end stage of moulting, it could be new feathers coming through.  The head and neck are the last bits that grow them and the feathers come through with a white covering over them.  These come off and make the hen quite ‘dusty’ for a while.

Don’t worry about dusting her head with DE.  Get as much of her body as you can as lice are quite mobile over the hen’s body.  If it is a really bad infestation, you can get stuff from the vet which is usually given to cats and dogs as flea treatment.  I have heard people on here say they have been given a spray for under the wings.  I also know people who have been told to use the spot on treatment — 1 drop on the back of the neck for a bantam, 3 for a full sized bird.  If you go down this route, be aware the vet will usually advise you not to eat any eggs for a couple of weeks after treatment.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 20:35 »
What 1 lady did at the allotment was put lice powder in a dustbin bag and put the chicken in it with its head sticking out top and shake bag over chicken.

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Mite spray ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 13:14
by Alby
xx
red mite spray

Started by marran on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Even if you buy a new henhouse -spray against red mite!

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 11:52
by kattcottrell

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 45 queries.