Swan neck shovel / spade.

• 4 Replies

Lardman

Swan neck shovel / spade.
« on: April 24, 2009, 22:11 »
Im 6'4" and smaller spades cause me really bad back problems but find the longer D style ones tend to snap too often.  I've turned the soil over with a border spade this year - at least it didn't break. The soil is relatively light and sandy but with plenty of stones, I do need something that I don't have to kneel to use though  :D

Has anyone tried the "Long Handled Spade" from here http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm or a similar style tool.  Im especially interested it how many times you've snapped the handle digging with it, rather than just turning over already fluffy soil.

Do anyone have fiest hand experience ?

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
Re: Swan neck shovel / spade.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 22:23 »
In some countries the long handled fork, spade and shovel are the norm. You need to take a very thin slice if you have heavy clay soil (it will also be easier to break up). If you find that the normal length of handle is too short it may be possible to get a suitable long handle, fit it into the spade socket and cut it off to length, putting a plastic "Dee" handle on the top.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:57 »
I've had a long handled pointed shovel for years ( they are the norm in Bosnia and many other countries ) it doesn't work fork digging because of the angle of the blade relative to the shaft but it's wonderful for moving/loading sand, gravel, woodchip, compost etc also for mixing compost or concrete. No bending saves the back, point goes into a pile very easily and long reach saves moving - many people find it hard on the arms though til they get used to it
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:04 »
I've recently purchased a Wilkinson Sword Power Digging Spade http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilkinson-Sword-Power-Digging-601570W/dp/B000PXRZT6 . Like yourself, I'm a long chap (6ft 5in tall) and my back used to bother me, not any more! This tool helps take decent clods of soil at a time due to it's longer handle giving greater leverage. They also do a fork which I think I'll treat myself to.
I also use an Azada for clearing & cutting, but will have to extend the handle by about 8-10" because, you guessed it, it's too short! I can never understand why they can't just supply you with a longer handle, then shorter folk can cut them down. You can't add on what's not there, can you!
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 23:16 »
Interesting find Browser...

I do so agree about the world being built for the 5'10". I do worry about the extra length causing the shaft to snap. I've killed many a spade that way. I might have a wander round my local Been and Queued see them in person.

xx
Irish spade or west country shovel?

Started by brotherdeal on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post December 08, 2011, 06:06
by Growster...
xx
An interesting shovel

Started by chrisjsmith on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 22:30
by Trillium
xx
american style digging shovel

Started by stuart curran on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 13:12
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Long handle round mouth shovel

Started by Alistair1392 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 23:02
by Alistair1392

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 28 queries.