wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2012, 19:51 »
If your stripping pallets drill the nail heads out first with a 5mm bit, they come apart much easier then, pull the rest of the nail with Mole Grips.Hope that helps. Cheers Tony!!

Good idea!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

bluepeterwoman

« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2012, 20:58 »
If your stripping pallets drill the nail heads out first with a 5mm bit, they come apart much easier then, pull the rest of the nail with Mole Grips.Hope that helps. Cheers Tony!!

Good idea!!

Yep that is what I had to do when taking up a chipboard floor with those ring shanked pneumatically injected ( I called them "terrier") nails.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2013, 10:31 »
Good call, I'll keep that in mind when I collect some pallets.  Our local country store has piles outside so I asked if I could buy a few.  He responded saying I'm welcome to take several at a time so long as I avoid the blue or double sized ones.  Excellent!
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Pauline01UK

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2013, 17:17 »
If you look it up on the internet where they sell pallets in your area, ring them up and ask them about their damaged pallets you will find that they usually give away as many of those ones as you want for free :) I am sure you would get enough wood that you need from several those :) I found out because I rang to ask how much they would be, they told me they was free but they don't deliver any of the damaged ones so I would have to collect, I couldn't get any myself because unfortunately I don't have transport, Its worth a try if they are free  :)

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2013, 18:08 »
I put a wanted ad couple of days ago on my local freegle and I've had a reply from a local'ish guy who has (at least 20-30 he says) scrap pallets I can have :D Some are damaged but he has a guy collects those for his wood burner. He giving them away because they're non-standard sizes and he can't sell them. Happy days for me though :D
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Sweetpea C

« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2013, 12:58 »
This site is fantastic! I just went to our post room / reprographics and asked if we had any 'yes', what do we do with them 'they go in the skip' (WHAT!!! and we call ourself a sustainable company - I won't say who I work for!).

So I am having all of them for the forseeable future in preparation for the wasteland :-) and the nice boys have even offered to put them in my car for me. Thanks all for the tips  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 13:12 by Caroline1972 »
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Sweetpea C

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22 »
I put a wanted ad couple of days ago on my local freegle and I've had a reply from a local'ish guy who has (at least 20-30 he says) scrap pallets I can have :D Some are damaged but he has a guy collects those for his wood burner. He giving them away because they're non-standard sizes and he can't sell them. Happy days for me though :D

Good idea that's nice, I'm usually giving stuff away on frecycle so hopefully ill get lucky  ;)

stuart curran

• bargain basement gardener
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51 »
no need to pay just go to a trading estate there are always good pallets to have for free just ask neat piles of pallets are normally being returned to whence they came but scruffy piles are normally the throw aways  good hunting

Sweetpea C

« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2013, 16:42 »
Hurrah - got my first loads of pallets today and he even took me in the van to the allotment and unloaded it for me (well, I was in work clothes of dress and heels!).

They are all different sizes (and colours) but that won't deter me :-).  :)

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2013, 10:08 »
What i did is printed off small flyers 4 to an A4 piece of paper with a little note and my contact details on it, went down the trading estates and gave them to the local business asking for all there spare pallets, within a week i was getting so many emails and texts saying come collect our pallets.  Now have arranged a van from a kind allotment holder now we collect as many as possible and put them in the allotment car parks for all to share. works out quite good because we now get offer loads of freebie plants etc for doing so (i would do it anyway without the freebies).
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2013, 13:37 »
What i did is printed off small flyers 4 to an A4 piece of paper with a little note and my contact details on it, went down the trading estates and gave them to the local business asking for all there spare pallets, within a week i was getting so many emails and texts saying come collect our pallets.  Now have arranged a van from a kind allotment holder now we collect as many as possible and put them in the allotment car parks for all to share. works out quite good because we now get offer loads of freebie plants etc for doing so (i would do it anyway without the freebies).

Your altruism makes me feel like a ferengi (off Star Trek).  I've just got permission to take as many pallets as I want from a local business near work, on viewing them there's an almost limitless supply (for my needs).  My second thought was perhaps I could make money from them, shame on me :nowink:
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18 »
What i did is printed off small flyers 4 to an A4 piece of paper with a little note and my contact details on it, went down the trading estates and gave them to the local business asking for all there spare pallets, within a week i was getting so many emails and texts saying come collect our pallets.  Now have arranged a van from a kind allotment holder now we collect as many as possible and put them in the allotment car parks for all to share. works out quite good because we now get offer loads of freebie plants etc for doing so (i would do it anyway without the freebies).

Your altruism makes me feel like a ferengi (off Star Trek).  I've just got permission to take as many pallets as I want from a local business near work, on viewing them there's an almost limitless supply (for my needs).  My second thought was perhaps I could make money from them, shame on me :nowink:

Free wood for the log burner saves ££££s

Edit to clarify quoted text.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:15 by arugula »
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Taff the Welder

« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2013, 17:34 »
We have to pay £70 per ton to get rid of waste wood (primarily broken pallets)....  Company encourages people with log burners (and Allotments), etc. to help themselves.  You'd do the garden centre a favour if you took them FoC...  ;)

DaveJNeal

« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2013, 21:44 »

Good idea!!

Yep that is what I had to do when taking up a chipboard floor with those ring shanked pneumatically injected ( I called them "terrier") nails.

I've got a small flat crowbar type of thing which is just top notch for taking these apart, I think the technical/correct use is as a floorboard lifter or something - couple of quid from B&Q, takes the nails out and leaves the boards unsplit too.

D

stickmeup

• Experienced Member
  • Newbie Allotment owner
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22 »
I've just bought one of these and it's awesome

Got a couple opf projects Im looking to make quite soon aswell :)

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi
xx
I got some pallets!!

Started by foxydan on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 19:41
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.