Variation on a Munty!!!! (Long post with pics)

• 14 Replies

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Variation on a Munty!!!! (Long post with pics)
« on: May 13, 2009, 21:57 »
After my trouble with Dwarf Beans (See other thread) and the addition of a couple of extra plants I have had to redraw my plans on what to plant where.

My raised beds are now all spoken for for the next year with stuff like leaks replacing new potatoes and kale replacing onions (I have a fall back plan if the kale is ready too early) and so on. Even the bed that was to hold the dwarf beans now has extra broad beans in place.

So where to put the replacement scarlet runners, the sweet corn I was sent and the blue lake french beans I bought on impulse. Given I live in a very windy place.

So I have come up with a plan and seek opinions.

Here is my most sheltered spot looking from North to South and notice a couple of our islands largest trees (I have two larger ones but not by much). They will not cause too much of a shade issue as they are small leaved and the plot is in full sun for several hours.

In the picture you can see my small GH, rhubarb, in front of that my new herb garden and to the right of that my gooseberries. The plot in question is just behind the rhubarb:

This is the plot also looking from north to south and taken about 6am this morning so the sun is coming from the east:

This is looking south to north:

And this is my solution:

I propose to build a double sided Munty frame like a arbour or pagoda (In yellow) and of course train my beans of both varieties up it (green), but then just inside the frame in the best light I will plant my block of sweet corn (light green and again because I have too many plants I will also plant a couple of outside tomatoes (red) to see if it can be done up here.

I really have no other room so it's either this or don't grow all the veg I have, and given where I live and I have the most sheltered garden, no one else could so can't give it away.

I know I could have a shade issue for the corn (Already chitted and showing so can be planted first), a wind and salt issue for all of it. I may cover the side of the frame and the front of the plot with wind break material.

Any ideas that may help will be appreciated.

Bob

jjbull

Re: Variation on a Munty!!!! (Long post with pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 22:03 »
slightly off topic but that is an impressive bit of rhubarb you have

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 22:07 »
For the next couple of months we are into our peak growing time as we have almost 24 hour daylight. We get a dusk and dawn with no real darkness in the middle (It's called Simmer Din) and already the sun is setting after 9pm (Will set at 11.15 on the longest day) and Rhubarb along with dandelions seem to like the light  :)

Bob

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 22:12 »
Well my answer would be.....as you've nowhere else to put them they have to go there! :lol: As you're getting more light than most of us anyway you've a good chance of getting away with it, if it stays warm enough :)
Good luck and let us know what happens :)

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 22:20 »
Hi Eatyourgreens. If it were mine I wouldn't be thinking about the Munty pergola thing at all. I would run canes along the back of the plot for the runner beans (leaning against the stone wall) then, plant the corn in a block in front of the beans (Full sun), and shove the tommy's in between the corn and the rhubarb (nice 'n' Sheltered) That gives you another way of looking at it.. :wacko: ??? :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 23:15 »
That's got potential Bombers, or thinking about it I could do a standard munty frame heading east and still have room for the corn and toms in front.

I will have another look in the morning.

Yes MumofStig you guessed it right, we have plenty of light and the weather can be really nice like today with almost 18 hours of sunshine but warmth by your standard is missing and when it's windy the chill factor takes a bit of getting used to.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:54 by Eatyourgreens »

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:33 »
A bit more thinking time as come up with this:

It involves a small home-made fence to the front and north (Just under the tree) to cut off any nasty winds blowing down the path, then at the rear a variation on a "Munty" or may yet revert to just a standard cane hedge. The corn and toms will be grown in front of this.

The munty variation will provide protection from any winds coming from the west over the wall.

I even managed to wake up at 5am with exactly where the right wood for the fence and frame can be located (Can't just pop to the shops up here).

The corn and toms will be in full sun from 6am till noon, then light dappled shade for a couple of hours, before getting another hour or so of full sun before getting more dappled shade until the beans steal it from them.

Some of these could all be firsts as outdoor crops for this island.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:41 »
Apart from shade issues ...

... could you put the cantilever the Munty frame over the path - thus saving some space - and then plant everything else behind, up to the wall.

A single row of canes, on the edge of the path, but angled to hang over the path, would dangle the beans to be picked from the path I think.

But I can't visualise the directions, sorry, to know about the impact on the rest of the plot.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45 »
It would block all the light, so not an option Kristen, but worth saying it  :)

Bob

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04 »
I guess your sun is lower in the sky than mine ...

... large mirror cantilevered off the top of the wall?

... I'll get my coat  8)

Chico

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 11:09 »
loving your self made greenhouse, got one myself (made out of a bookcase) but i put some plastic sheeting on the side (used the same corrugated stuff for the roof), might replace next year with the corrugated stuff... 

sterling work!!  :)

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15 »
Yes it is, but because the earth is curved, we actually get a lot more daylight than you in the summer (Takes some thinking about), of course it gets dark earlier in winter but not such an amount.

Literally for the next couple of months the most we get is a sort of twilight, and in June/July the sky stays red with the sun not that far below the northern horizon.

During spring and autumn the it gets lighter and darker by as much as 12 minutes a week instead of the 4 or so down south. It's just like someone switching the lights on and off.

Another possible advantage is the clearness of the air so the sunshine is bright, I was just out in the garden, and the sun has driven me in as I could feel it burning the top of me head and that was just after 11 so two hours before proper GMT noon. Must get a hat for this year.

Bob

Fruity

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 20:17 »
Re: your first bean frame.

I've done something similar in a large square tub except that my frame is more open to allow the sun to shine through the middle. If I rotate the tub every few days I'm hoping that my RB plants will get plenty of sun exposure. I too was inspired by the wonderful Munty frame.

Bombers

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 20:37 »

Am liking this plan! 8) Look forward to seeing your results. Good luck!

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 21:17 »
Done the deal for the wood, I will help three children plant some stuff I gave them (Courgettes, Broad Beans, Onion Sets) and fix the fence in their garden to stop ducks getting in, in return for 4 lengths of 2x2 that are currently making a mess of said children's garden (Dad not interested in gardening).

Hopefully get the building and fence sorted as soon as the 40+mph winds of the next few days are past.

Bob

PS Hopefully I can protect my Brassica's from these winds as well.

xx
munty ,just a few pics of the toms

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:27
by muntjac
xx
British Variation

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2012, 20:13
by richy
xx
Some pics now i know how to post :)

Started by AdsaM on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 16:51
by barney rubble
xx
What weed is this ? Please post pics of your weeds here!

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

787 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 19:52
by New shoot

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 37 queries.