Courgettes looking a bit worse for wear

• 22 Replies

blue_cortina

Re: Courgettes looking a bit worse for wear
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26 »
Interesting to see this posting as I've got exactly the same problem with all my squash plants. the leaves papery at edges with some amount of yellowing. I thought it was because they were in the ghouse and getting too hot. Or that they had run out of food. I've moved them outside moved many into bigger pots and gave them a bit of food but so far no great improvement. Dissapointed as much the same happened last year and when the seeds first started to grow the plants looked really good and I've got many varieties on the go so it would be a great shame to loose them all :-(

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47 »
blue_cortina:

We had a spell of really good weather, then a recent bit of bad weather (cold, windy and wet) so my guess is that some of the plants could have been caught out by this. It is always going to be a challenge with cucurbits as they shouldn’t even be started off in pots – we only do it in the UK because we have a comparatively short growing season and need to give them a head start. If you have loads of varieties and plant them at different times then you have a better chance of some of them being successful so don't give up on them yet!

diggerjoe

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 15:07 »
on a courgette related theme - I have sown courgettes and pumpkins in my usual way and had then put them in the kitchen - they had been in a few hours when OH decided to be helpful and water them - not noticing I went to check them this morning and all the pots were sitting in 1/2 inch water - i have obviously empited it out but should i just repot them into drier compost or leave them in the hope that they wont rot off being so wet.? The compost was very wet. Needless to say OH is banned fom watering duties

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 15:21 »
on a courgette related theme - I have sown courgettes and pumpkins in my usual way and had then put them in the kitchen - they had been in a few hours when OH decided to be helpful and water them - not noticing I went to check them this morning and all the pots were sitting in 1/2 inch water - i have obviously empited it out but should i just repot them into drier compost or leave them in the hope that they wont rot off being so wet.? The compost was very wet. Needless to say OH is banned fom watering duties

I overwatered once (or twice!) so left them above a radiator and put a bit of very dry compost on top of them. It worked, but not sure I would recommend to leave them in the heat for long as they get leggy.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 16:00 »
I don't think it's scorching either, the leaves look too puckered to me to be that. Courgettes can get virus diseases, but it doesn't look like mosaic virus either. I think I'd start again with fresh seed just in case.

diggerjoe

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 16:08 »
Will give that a try Trebor anything is worth a shot so I dont lose the lot Thanks

gobs

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 19:56 »
Interesting to see this posting as I've got exactly the same problem with all my squash plants. the leaves papery at edges with some amount of yellowing. I thought it was because they were in the ghouse and getting too hot. Or that they had run out of food. I've moved them outside moved many into bigger pots and gave them a bit of food but so far no great improvement. Dissapointed as much the same happened last year and when the seeds first started to grow the plants looked really good and I've got many varieties on the go so it would be a great shame to loose them all :-(

They can look like that just from scorching all right, what is bothering me, is that the original poster says, all look like that, well, it's possible, of course, but I have never seen it like that in a home environment, that's all.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

blue_cortina

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 16:05 »
ben - how are your plants doing now ? Mine seem to have gone from bad to worse -even though they are all outside and being watered less.... :-(

xx
Worse compost of 2022

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 01, 2022, 10:30
by Nobbie
xx
Waterlogged Plot made even worse !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 17:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Courgettes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:47
by Pompey Spud
xx
Courgettes

Started by James on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 22:58
by joolee

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 34 queries.