Waiting .....

• 35 Replies

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Re: Waiting .....
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39 »
I waited 12 months before I got fed up of being fobbed off and suggested to the council it might be a winner all round if they let me clear an overgrown site (instead of waiting for them to locate "resources") in return for a plot.  I have to admit I thought it was a long shot but they said yes.  :) Have you looked around for any badly neglected sites...the sort that nobody will probably touch with a barge pole!?  They are the type you need to try this tack I think.  Worked for me anyway.  Best of luck and hope you get a plot soon. :)

The overgrown site you cleared, did it used to be allotments? Or was it just some waste land? Also did you clear the site yourself or did you have people helping you?

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 11:57 »
It did used to be allotments, yes.  Its a very small site, only 4 plots and was derelict for 10 years approx.  Me and hubby cleared it ourselves using a brush cutter and a rake and a lot of hard work - but we really enjoyed it.  The council provided 2 skips and some black plastic to cover the cleared areas that we aren't cultivating.  I argued there was no point clearing it all for me to be fighting the weeds from the untaken plots again in a few months.

It used to look like this.
From this.jpg
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 11:59 »
Now it looks like this :happy:
poly7.jpg

Lady Lottie

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00 »
Tatoes ..... :happy:
tatties.jpg

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 12:56 »
It did used to be allotments, yes.  Its a very small site, only 4 plots and was derelict for 10 years approx.  Me and hubby cleared it ourselves using a brush cutter and a rake and a lot of hard work - but we really enjoyed it.  The council provided 2 skips and some black plastic to cover the cleared areas that we aren't cultivating.  I argued there was no point clearing it all for me to be fighting the weeds from the untaken plots again in a few months.

Well done and a big pat on the back to you both. You certainly worked hard and you deserve to have a plot. If I was on the council, I'd let you have the 4 plots for yourselves the work you put into it. I'll be looking round my local area for some useful sites then do some investigating. Thanks for the tip.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 13:10 »

Well done and a big pat on the back to you both. You certainly worked hard and you deserve to have a plot. If I was on the council, I'd let you have the 4 plots for yourselves the work you put into it. I'll be looking round my local area for some useful sites then do some investigating. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you. :happy:  Good luck!

xx
Anyone else going mad with waiting?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2024, 15:56
by Learnerlady
xx
still waiting for PSB...

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 16:29
by Blackpool rocket
xx
still waiting for the frost!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 20:29
by DD.
xx
It's worth waiting for.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 01:02
by Dora5

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 45 queries.