Crown Prince Squash

• 14 Replies

Gazza76

Crown Prince Squash
« on: June 05, 2015, 19:39 »
Hi all

I've got five Crown Prince plants in six inch pots busting to get out into the ground at some point this weekend. I've not grown these before and was wondering about plant spacings. What distance to allow between plants and for how long will they trail? If they just keep going how long before I pinch out the end for best results?
 Many thanks for any help  :)

jaydig

Re: Crown Prince Squash
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 19:58 »
I've tried loads of different winter squashes, but always come back to Crown Prince because the flavour is so good.
They will trail for about ten to twelve feet, sometimes a bit more, but I just carefully lead them where I want them to go. I usually leave about four to five feet between plants, and crop an average of three to four huge squash per plant.  I've still got three left from last season because they keep for ages if you let them cure properly before storing in a cool place.  They are lovely roasted or made into soup. Just cut into wedges, remove the seeds and drizzle with olive oil, salt and black pepper before roasting. Don't bother trying to peel them, wait until they are cool enough when they come out of the oven, and the peel just pulls away easily.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 20:30 »
I leave minimum 3 ft each way.  Give them a goodly dose of manure round the planting site ☺

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 22:24 »
I space them at a metre apart and also try to guide where they grow...then I eventually give up when they've taken over the entire bed and they head off up the paths  ::) :lol: 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 22:28 »
I give about 3ft, and make sure that there is plenty of room for them to ramble.

Gazza76

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 08:10 »
Many thanks for all the replies, really looking forward to these  :)

neatntidy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 19:55 »
Ditto what jaydig said. They are really tasty and store well. I grow mine between sweetcorn.

Ro-Ro

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 21:09 »
Ditto what jaydig said. They are really tasty and store well. I grow mine between sweetcorn.

I plan on crown prince between the sweetcorn; but need the corn to get a move on & grow upwards a bit before they are swamped by rapidly growing squash plants

Gazza76

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:33 »
                                I grow mine between sweetcorn.

Might try that next year as mine are all in now, thanks for the tip.

Really wasn't liking the winds on Saturday or the cooler temps forecast so had to cloche with
bamboo canes/Debris netting. Popped in the Lotty last night and they all looked fine. A member
a few plots up had planted out courgettes and butternut squash and I was sorry to see they
weren't looking very happy at all. Hoping the temperature is going to pick up sometime soon.

@ Jaydig

As you've tried loads of winter squashes,  I'd like to ask if I may, if you were to grow a winter squash you could save seed from that was comparable to crown prince (i.e great flavor/storing ability), what would it be?

Many thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 14:27 »
Thelma Sanders is reliable and delicious, and comes true from self saved seed, as long as you make sure to pollinate a female flower with pollen from another TS, then close up the flower to make sure no bees get in with something different.

Squashes are very promiscuous  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 14:23 »
by far my most favourite squash and I always have them on the plot.

What I do is to dig a hole around 2 foot deep and around 3 feet in diameter, fill with well rotted muck and cover with a light covering of soil then make a small hole in the centre and plant and back fill with compost and puddle in. I plant mine around 3 feet between plants, on average i get around 30 ish squash off 4 plants and as above they store really well if kept cool.
Amongst many uses they make fantastic bread which is full of flavour.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 18:35 »
Sorry, Gazza,

We've been away for a few days, so I've only just picked up your question.  I haven't found anything comparable to Crown Prince as regards flavour and storage ability, but I only buy the seeds on alternate years. I will keep the seed from one crop to sow for the next year's plants, and although they aren't a perfect replica of Crown Prince, usually in that the colour varies a little, the flavour and keeping qualities are never compromised. I don't know what they'd be like if you kept seed from the second year's crop as I've never tried it, but it might be worth a go. I've also sowed kept seed two years after saving it, and they've germinated without any problems.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 19:02 »
I'd like to ask if I may, if you were to grow a winter squash you could save seed from that was comparable to crown prince (i.e great flavor/storing ability), what would it be?

Queensland Blue, Jarrahdale and Whangaparoa Crown are all purported to be similar to Crown Prince, but are open pollinated varieties so you would be able to save seed if you hand pollinate.

I've grown both Queensland Blue and Crown Prince and found them to be similar in taste. I didn't keep the QBlue for many months as I was wanting the seeds for a seed circle. I have some spare if you want to try them.

Flowertot

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 21:12 »
I grow Queensland Blue and they are my favourite and the favourite of my kids particularly for roasting. They last well until February/March if stored in a cool room.

Gazza76

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 13:12 »
Many thanks for all the replies, suggestions and tips  :)

No need to apologies Jaydig, thanks for the reply. I'll save some seed from Crown Prince and see what results. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thelma Sanders is now on my list for next year, thanks Sunshineband, sounds like a really good winter squash.

Queensland Blue is also on the list for next year, I've made a note of Jarrahdale and Whangaparoa Crown to try also at some point, wish I had enough space to grow them all.
 Many thanks Surbie for the suggestions and offer of seeds for QBlue. I would PM or Email but I'm not sure how to do that on this forum? Maybe I can't as I'm a new member with very few posts?

I'm really impressed with the amount of growth my five Crown Prince plants have put on in just a week, two of them got planted directly into the compost pile and mulched with straw, looking very good so far  :)

xx
Crown prince squash

Started by Ian321 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 22:16
by Ian321
xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 15:45
by Totty
xx
Crown prince squash

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 12:34
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 13:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 35 queries.