Treats for my chucks

• 19 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
Re: Treats for my chucks
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 23:18 »
I have only been giving them a few bits for treats during the day as they love thier mixed corn at night  :D
Pull up a perch!!

woodbwoodman

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 23:05 »
Slugs.
 Just make sure the slugs havent eaten any slug pellets though (gather them away from any chance of there being pellets). The bigger the slug, the better the entertainment..... ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 23:27 »
We hang a lettuce form the allotment in the coop most night, just high enough to be slightly out of their reach, keeps them amused for hours.
Our would happily run over hot coals for dried meal worms ( is it just me or do they smell really nice, bit like popcorn  ???)
I also give them melon which they love as well as: pasta, couscous, porridge, apple, grapes, marrow cut sideways so they can scoop out all the flesh. Basically ours will eat anything they can get their beaks into, snails seem a firm favourite this month though!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:17 »
if your hens are eating slugs and snails then please remember to give them a course of flubenvet to eliminate lung worm (they can also get it from mice and wild bird droppings - so free ranging hens should be dosed more frequently).
Any treats you give should not come from your kitchen as this is classed as kitchen scraps and is against DEFRA's laws. Cakes and muffins etc. really are not necessary, some fruit and veg is good but I buy or grow mine just for the chickens - it never goes into my house. Treats (including mixed corn) should make up no more than 10% of the chickens feed.  Dark leafy greens or grass are needed to help them absorb calcium.
Staffies are softer than you think.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 19:50 »
T hey only have a small handfull of corn just before bedtime.

xx
MY chucks

Started by dugless on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:23
by too many girls
xx
new chucks

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:00
by Tony H
xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 40 queries.