Preparing raised container bed

• 5 Replies

hubballi

Preparing raised container bed
« on: March 10, 2010, 18:21 »
Last year I made a table top container from recycled wood off the ground about 2 ft clear from slugs (yes, they got in)  I bought bags of cheap compost from a store called B and M but nothing really did well despite feeding etc.

I grew salad, french beans, Carrot, s onions, rocket, raddish and spinach which all pretty much were poor. I even planted the spinnach and radish in the cooler, shaded area which didn't help one bit.

One year on and I have dug in some compost from my recycle bin. If I also mix in a bit of compost (decent stuff) from last years containers and a bit of soil, will this fair better this year if I try again with more salad stuff ?

If there is something else I am missing please tell me. Unfortunately my budget for buying decent compost is nill as I lost my job last year and can't afford it.

It's in partial shade and get the sun around mid afternoon.

Thanks

gillie

Re: Preparing raised container bed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 19:10 »
I am guessing that there were slugs' eggs in the cheap compost that you bought.

How deep is the compost going to be?  If it is not very deep you will have to water very regularly - maybe twice a day if the weather is warm.

Gillie

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 19:30 »
hi hubbalilli, I too grow in raised beds and find that well rotted manure (which can still be dug in now...if well rotted) worked wonders. Best of all it was free! I posted up on freecycle and got a lot of response. Turns out there are a lot of people who are happy to have it shifted!!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 20:28 »
That's one lesson we all learn, hubballi, that not all things labeled compost are really such. And the cheaper the bag, the more useless it usually is. But as a filler for your beds, its a starting point, so as earthing suggests either post a 'wanted - free well rotted manure' request or simply go to stables who are usually desperate to shift the stuff as it accumulates too fast  :D Do ask for the old rotted stuff which you can use right away. Fresh stuff must age at least 6-9 months or you'll kill off your crops. I'm sure you'll notice an improvement right away. Usually fall is the best time to add manure but in a pinch, spring will do.

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 22:24 »
Well I'm using normal household waste compost from the bin.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 22:33 »
I put a lot of top soil for my containers and beds, then just dressed with manure, chikcen pellets and compost.  I found it lasts better and retains moisture and nutrients better.  This means you can just keep adding feed (compost, manure or pellets) year on year. 

xx
Preparing new raised beds in March?

Started by angela G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 14:07
by BabbyAnn
xx
Advice on preparing my raised beds for winter

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 13:55
by tmm
xx
Preparing a raised bed for asparagus grown from seed

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 21:21
by weirdsowing
xx
Container Garden

Started by BJRD on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:01
by BJRD

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 39 queries.