Canker in chickens

• 2 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Canker in chickens
« on: December 07, 2012, 16:11 »
I wonder what experience others have with canker in chickens? One of mine died of it last year and this winter I have another 2 showing first signs. I tried canker treatment from vet and off the internet (pigeon treatment) and none of it has worked. Any ideas are welcome.
mrs.ploppy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Canker in chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 17:48 »
if this is canker then where are they picking it up from? It is quite a few months since your last case. I would go back to your vets and get a different treatment - there are several. also isolate any infected birds and make sure you thoroughly clean their water containers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Canker in chickens
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 19:25 »
I've not much experience of it but the only chicken I have ever looked after was for a friend specifically as it had canker and needed TLC. I would not have brought it into my flock if ducks were at all susceptible to it as it is often spread bird to bird.

Much as you did I tried many remedies including cleaning the plaques in its mouth on a daily basis and it was all futile. Sadly if I came across this again in the future I would cull early to protect the rest of my flock and to prevent prolonged distress to the bird.

Know this is not a balanced view as I've only seen one case but would be the approach I would take. :(
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
canker in chickens

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 18:53
by Helenaj
xx
Canker in chickens

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 18:56
by mrs.ploppy
xx
canker

Started by juliemax1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 10:10
by juliemax1
xx
Canker

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 18:38
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.