Braeburn not growing

• 12 Replies

tomhayes215

Braeburn not growing
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:35 »
I've had this Braeburn apple tree for around 3 year now and it has hardly grown much since I got it.

It has had fruit but the branches have never been strong enough to hold the fruit for long.  In the garden not too far away from the apple tree, we also have a plum tree which we have had for around 7 years now.  Would this affect the growth of the apple tree?   If not is there any advice you could give me ?

Thanks Tom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Braeburn not growing
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 14:28 »
A couple of points there, Tom.

Was it a container grown plant ?  Is it possible that the roots have not been able to get out of the original rootball if they were not teased out prior to planting in well prepared soil.  This would stunt the tree but only a bit of a test dig around it would tell.

Does the tree have a pollinator near by.  Fruit will not set properly and stay on the tree if it's not pollinated.  Have a look at this table for pollinating varieties for Braeburn.  They are in group E so would need a different variety from groups D,E or F.

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Hedging-Trees-Fruit-Questions/fruit-tree-growing-guides/Apple-Tree-Pollination.

I don't think the plum will be a great problem unless it is very close.  What rootstock is the apple on ?

gobs

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 18:56 »
Alternatively, they say never let a young tree to fruit. Could this possibly stunt growth? In case you did.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tomhayes215

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 22:43 »
yes it was a container grown tree. ill have a  test dig to see. we live in a little village in the countryside, i know our next-door neighbors don't have apple trees but their is bound to be some nearby. can it only be pollinated by another tree
tks
Tom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 23:19 »
Yes a different tree other than Braeburn, as in the information on that table.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:35 »
Could it be the rootstock ? (I mean maybe it is the wrong type for current purpose)

Got any Crab Apples nearby? They have long flowering season, so likely to be good polinators.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 17:32 »

Got any Crab Apples nearby? They have long flowering season, so likely to be good polinators.

Probably not any use as pollinators unless they are in the correct groups.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 23:05 »

Probably not any use as pollinators unless they are in the correct groups.
I thought Crab Apples would pollinate any apple? i.e. the apple Groups are flowering period, so group B can be pollinated by A, B, or C because the periods (usually, but depends on weather) overlap, whereas the Crab Apples flower over a long period so cover all groups?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 23:14 »
It may of been down to isolated frosts this year ! My Bramley and victoria are covered but I have not a single Nectarine which has been loaded for the last 2 year's  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:36 »

I thought Crab Apples would pollinate any apple? i.e. the apple Groups are flowering period, so group B can be pollinated by A, B, or C because the periods (usually, but depends on weather) overlap, whereas the Crab Apples flower over a long period so cover all groups?

Possibly, but they would not pollinate all apple trees, some need two different cultivars to pollinate well (a few are self fertile). 

This is a good web site for those who want to plant apple trees:

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/pollination-of-fruit-trees

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25 »
Thanks, interesting to know :)

Not specifically relevant to this question but we have planted our Apples as an Espalier with about 10 plants, and they are planted in flowering-order so should cross pollinate well - Fingers Crossed! - and we have planted the two obvious Crab Apple varieties "John Downie" and "Golden Hornet" one at each end :)

chillimummy

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 20:44 »
Planted my braeburn tree few years ago too and this is first year had quite a lot of fruit though tree still fairly small.
Very close to our tree is neighbours tree which looks to be like a cooking apple. Would like to dig ours up and move it for space but wondered if it would survive and when should do this? It is about 4 feet tall
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

gobs

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 21:48 »
Of course you can move it - Dec-Feb time - make sure, it has plenty of soft, thin feeding roots, they are more important on moving, than any other. Happily lose thick support root if needed, stake for a couple of years.

xx
Braeburn problem

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 19:22
by turnpike
xx
Hi I'm very new to growing my own veg

Started by k8e on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 21:42
by oldcow
xx
What veg are best for growing here?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 06:33
by Kagganz
xx
New to growing!

Started by plumcrazi_2005 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2006, 14:16
by lentil987

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 34 queries.