tiny carrots

• 3 Replies

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
tiny carrots
« on: August 21, 2011, 18:02 »
Hi

We grew some carrots in a container - probably 10" deep - in a compost.  They looked great - really bushy and lovely.  We ran a finger around the top and they were about an inch across so it seemed it was time to pull them.

What a disappointment - twisted, stumpy tiny things - more like spirals than straight carrots.   Two or possibly two and a half inches long in total.  The taste fine, but there is just enough in our whole crop for two very small servings by the time we have cut off what we can actually clean.

Any ideas what we did wrong?

Caddi
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: tiny carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 18:11 »
If they're twisted, I'd suggest they are fighting their way through stony soil... unless you've moved them in which case, they're likely to end up an odd shape.  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 21:21 »
We've pulled our first ever carrots up recently and they're exactly as you describe.  We have very stony soil as our plot is near a river, but I wouldn't swap them for long straight boring looking carrots.  Like yours, ours taste delicious, and the only disappointment is the size of them as they don't go a long way.  I'm going to compensate for this next year by growing loads of them.  If your soil's not so stony, they might've gone like that because you've manured the ground.  They  need to grow down to feed so if you manure them there's no reason for them to grow down.  Same with watering them too much - so I'm told anyway!

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 21:39 »
As they were in compost I would say it is something to do with watering. If the compost is not watered right through the roots will not progress beyond the damp area.

xx
Bindweed grows from tiny tiny root left in the gound

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 20:50
by sunshineband
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
tiny

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 12:13
by agapanthus
xx
Tiny Garlic

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 23:08
by Aidy

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.