Nasty shock fox about

• 5 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Nasty shock fox about
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:36 »
Hi as title says I have just been within a few feet of a fox this morning, not good, what to do? at the moment they free range so its either build an enclosure or go for electric fencing? They are in the garage at the moment so safe for now, whats easiest for a novice builder and on a Sunday?I'm in the Norwich area if anyone knows of fencing etc that I can get :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: Nasty shock fox about
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19 »
I'm having the same quandry, one of my ladies got killed by a fox last week, but they have been free ranging for over a year now and this was my 1st attack, and Nelly was old and slow. It happened as they were putting them selves to bed, they say most attacks happen at dusk and dawn (how true it is I dont know), so I dont know if he just saw his oppurtunity and went for it, but it's shocked the living bejeesus out of me.
I havent got the heart to enclose them, so I think I'll have to save my pennies and go dowm he electric fence route, but I have a large garden and will have to do all sides  :ohmy:
Mine are still out and about, I just dont let them out until the sun is well up and I guard them while going to bed. The stress is unreal, think I've aged 10 years in the last 8 days!!
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:37 »
Hi I know what you mean I haven't stopped shaking! I too have a large garden but will have to fence off an area , looking at electric fencing, its the batteries which cost the earth, but they can't live in the garage forever!(garage has plenty of windows) unfortuantely attacks can happen at any time of the day not just dusk/dawn.

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06 »
The trouble is, that as soon as a fox knows there are chooks on the plot, he will be back. Believe me, they never forget. I feel so guilty that my new chooks will never totally free range, but I just can't take the risk living where we do. We have gone for the enclosed run, with electric cord running around the bottom of the fence and at the top, so if he tries to burrow under her gets a shock, and if he tries to climb over, the same. A costly option, but compare that to having to buy new chooks every few months, and it doesnt come out too bad. I also think it helps that the boys (goats) now roam freely a good part of the day, perhaps another deterrent.
I really do feel for you, especially as you say its a Sunday. Do you have a B&Q nearby?
Good Luck.

Mary.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:18 »
Yes we have a B&Q what sort of things can I get from there? Placed a call to my Dad he's golfing, will be back soon, hopefully he can help.Going mad trawling through websites about electric fencing at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:19 by sneezer »

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 14:24 »
we got electric net fencing for our hens, dont enclose the whole garden as it is easy to move and you can rest your grass to recover if you move the fence when they dig.  Would recommend you buy the extra corner posts as they are much more sturdy than the straight posts.  You can buy transformers to use mains electricity which is much cheaper (and safer as the batteries can go flat!) but only if you have a power supply you can use outside.  We live in the country and have had foxes in the garden but this allows our hens and rabbits to free range so is worth the expense for peace of mind
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
Had a nasty shock today....

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 10:53
by babe
xx
Nasty shock this morning

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 09:48
by pink-chicken
xx
Hen in shock?

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 20:36
by newChickenMummy
xx
Im in a happy shock.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 00:36
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.