Breaking the broody cycle

• 9 Replies

Poolfield2

Breaking the broody cycle
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:19 »
I have a girly gone broody and I'm not ready yet this year for babies. Usually I have just left my broodies and kept removing the eggs and lift them out a few times a day for food water and exercise. It seems such a shame for them to spend up to 4 weeks sitting on nothing and to hatch nothing at the end.

A friend tells me that she breaks the cycle by putting a "broody wanabe" into a pen with just water for a day and this breaks the cycle. It doesn't seem like a pleasant day for a chicken but does it do them any harm and would it work anyway?

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Re: Breaking the broody cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:40 »
Hi one of mine went broody last year after just a few weeks of laying and like you I wasn't able to go down that route. I made a box with a wire bottom and top and raised it on bricks so air went underneath I put water and food in with the hen and kept her in it for several days it does work but you have to persevere. Been a softy I let mine out after a couple of days but found I needed to shut the coop off to stop her going in then put her back in the box at night. Apparently it cools their bottom and stops them being broody please don't leave her with out food.
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:31 »
I have heard that putting an ice back on her underneath can help cool a hen down (obviously wrapped in a tea towel or similar as you'd do with a child's sprained ankle etc). 

The 'broody box' is a good solution especially as the nights are a bit chilly still but echo the need for food and water. 

Or just keep turfing her out of her nesting box - close the house if the weather's nice and put their food and water outside.  The laying hens will find somewhere to lay but it might be enough to break her.

Not sure what hens you have but I have silkies and it seems almost impossible to stop them going broody!!!

Mad chicken woman

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 19:01 »
Well she spent they day in the "sinbin" with water and pellets and she was not happy :mad: She tried to break for freedon by attacking the corragated plastic roof til it broke and now I have to put wood on the top!

I blocked off the nest box and she muscled the wood out of the way and squeezed in with the 5 litre bottle of water that was holding it in place ::)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59 »
blimey!
she's very intent on being broody, isn't she?!
 ::)

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:30 »
Well the extra weight behind the wood blocking up the nestbox held over night and she is hovering around the henhouse as I type. I'm guessing that she will go back in there and then she'll be back in the sinbin.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11 »
Well the extra weight behind the wood blocking up the nestbox held over night and she is hovering around the henhouse as I type. I'm guessing that she will go back in there and then she'll be back in the sinbin.

can I borrow her? she sounds like a good un! :lol: :lol:
I once used one of those wine cooling sleves, with straw on top -I thought it was a cracking idea, didn't work tho..... :blink:

Poolfield2

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 13:14 »
It's enough to make me think I'll stick to hybrids ::)

steephen

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 16:38 »
My grandfather always used to line the nest box with an egg tray. if they cant sit comfortabley they give up. It was in the early 70s but he would take it off the nest and shut it in a small pen with just a nest box with the egg trray in it food and water. seemed to do the trick after a day

Poolfield2

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 23:12 »
The sinbin worked after 2 days, I was mightly impressed even if "Velder" wasn't, she had been broody for 6 days before I started and I really didn't expect it to work that well.

xx
Breaking a broody

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 22:52
by viettaclark
xx
breaking a broody hen

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 18:36
by Wild Pony
xx
Breaking the "broody"habit-any advice?

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 14:22
by jhub
question
egg breaking

Started by ychook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 09:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 34 queries.