Housing Questions

• 12 Replies

birdiegirl

Housing Questions
« on: June 14, 2008, 16:46 »
Hi everyone  :D  Despite the username ( internet name I have had for ages, nothing to do with hens :lol: ) I have never kept chickens before - but very much want to start. I have wanted some for *years* - but up until now OH has vetoed it on the grounds of foxes, foxes, everywhere (they are absolutely brazen, and  even come into the house and steal our shoes while we are right there  :twisted:  The expensive ones! - shoes, not foxes.  ). However, I think I have worn him down/won him over. Basically, he has been to Greece for a week, sailing, leaving me home alone with four children, so if I say I want chickens, I'm bloomin' well having chickens :lol: :lol: )

Anyway, of course, living creatures are not something to get on a whim, as a general rule, so I am researching, reasearching, researching. I have been lurking and learning  on here - :D   and utilising the search button - but do now have a few questions, please, if you can spare the time and patience.

I have a small back garden which consists of a patio ( so not very chook-house-friendly) and  an area only about 32' by 24'  with grass, flowerbeds, tiny pond, shed etc ( I also have an allotment, but in this context it is irrelevant, as livestock is not permitted, although  it does mean that I have somewhere else to grow veggies). Therefore I'm only thinking of getting a couple of hens, but allowing them to freerange for at least a few hours each day.

I know everyone says that they only want X number  and then end up with about six times that many :lol: but  I truly don't think I could fit more in without major complaints from the rest of the family, especially the sporty ones  -  and I have to admit that I do love my garden , and am a little apprehensive about the chooks trashing it completely.  

On the other hand, I also have  several footie-mad sons who have done a remarkable job of destroying a large proportion of  the grass  ( it would be a  delusion of grandeur to call it a lawn) already  :shock:  Would the fact that there is already a very generous dustbath area mean the hens were ever so slightly less inclined to remove all of the rest of the grass and chow down on the geraniums?

Aunt Sally in particular  ( although I am sure there are others too ) - I notice that you still have a lush, gorgeous lawn - how have you managed that???

Would I be better off sacrificing one area to the henhouse permanently or simply moving it every few days? If I left it in one place, would I have to do anything to the ground - I have read something about treating it with garden lime - to stop the ground becoming sick/a parasite haven? If I put lime on, do I have to keep the hens off for a while, and how often does it need done?

If I did keep it in one place, I would put bark or hemcore in the run - would that be OK? Any disadvantages?

Another problem for me is that I have *no* DIY skills. None. Seriously. Can barely bang a nail in straight. So building, converting or adapting anything  is out of the question. There will be no buying of cheap sheds and adding of perches and pop-holes for me . Unfortunately.  :oops:

I am sorely tempted by the eglu. It looks so funky, which is a consideration in such a tiny garden that has to be used and enjoyed by people that are not me, and it does sound very low-maintenance and practical, especially for a beginner. I do like the idea that I don't have to keep treating the wood, and that cleaning is so simple. I am also reassured by the fact that it does seem to be so fox-resistant (my neighbours actually feed Mrs Fox on purpose. :shock: I dont know if this means she would be  more or less likely to hop over the 6'high fence for supper at my house. I suspect more.)

However, if I do go for a wooden coop, is it true that felt roofs are more of a problem with redmite? I read that on a website - but it was the website of a company that sold hen houses with onduline roofs......

Is it worth getting a slide-out floor to make thorough cleaning easier?

Are these gimmicks, designed to part fools from their money?  Or is it that  you really do get what you pay for, and slide-out floors and posh roofs have some value and use - especially to a novice?

Is a cheaper run likely to require lots of additional anti-fox measures - eg improving the wire?  (and remember here, please, how useless I am with a hammer and nails  :oops: )

Are triangular houses  - arks? - likely to be too restrictive in size inside, compared to a more square-type house with the same floor area? Or will this not matter with only two chickens in there anyway?

Still awake? If you have made it this far, then thank you - and if you have any replies for me - then thank you even more :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Housing Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 18:24 »
My goodness birdiegirl, you sure can type   :shock:  :roll:

Let me cut to the bit where you talk about me and tell you what I think  :roll:

Quote from: "birdiegirl"
Aunt Sally in particular  ( although I am sure there are others too ) - I notice that you still have a lush, gorgeous lawn - how have you managed that???

Would I be better off sacrificing one area to the henhouse permanently or simply moving it every few days? If I left it in one place, would I have to do anything to the ground - I have read something about treating it with garden lime - to stop the ground becoming sick/a parasite haven? If I put lime on, do I have to keep the hens off for a while, and how often does it need done?

If I did keep it in one place, I would put bark or hemcore in the run - would that be OK? Any disadvantages?

I am sorely tempted by the eglu. It looks so funky, which is a consideration in such a tiny garden that has to be used and enjoyed by people that are not me, and it does sound very low-maintenance and practical, especially for a beginner. I do like the idea that I don't have to keep treating the wood, and that cleaning is so simple. I am also reassured by the fact that it does seem to be so fox-resistant (my neighbours actually feed Mrs Fox on purpose. :shock: I dont know if this means she would be  more or less likely to hop over the 6'high fence for supper at my house. I suspect more.)

However, if I do go for a wooden coop, is it true that felt roofs are more of a problem with redmite? I read that on a website - but it was the website of a company that sold hen houses with onduline roofs......

My lawn is is a good condition because:
[list=a]
  • I only have two hens.
  • They have a big shrubbery bed to dig in for bugs and dust bathing so digging up the lawn would be hard work for them.
  • My lawn had/has no bare patches created by children (or other creatures) for the chooks to start on.[/list:o]

Their accommodation is:
    [list=a]
  • In a permanent location.
  • The run is filled with bark chips which I refresh occasionally (I know a number of people who use aubiose or Hemcore successfully in the run),  this prevents grass damage from hen's poo laying on the grass and being trodden in by the hens.
  • I have a cover over their run to keep it dry so reducing any smell and the poo dries up and can be completely removed. I've never needed to lime the area but this is a good idea if the hens dig and poo in there and you cant refresh the soil.[/list:o]

The eglu is just brilliant for a small garden:
    [list=a]
  • Very low maintenance
  • Very fox resistant
  • Extremely low risk of red mite
  • Warm in winter and cool in summer - very important for a small coop.
  • Will hold up to 3 medium birds or 6 bantams[/list:o]

I wouldn't keep a couple of hens any other way  :D

poultrygeist

Housing Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 18:52 »
Yes.

What Aunt sally says. If you can afford it and have no other objections, then the eglu seems to be (ok, is!! :roll: ) an excellent solution and if you buy a ready made house/run, you will possibly need to make some modification(s)/repair(s) in the future.

If your fox is brazen, would it possibly hop over the fence even while you are supervising ?
I believe Aunt sally also uses a sonic fox deterrant although that might upset your neighbours. There are other possible solutions which were discussed on another thread recently, and I have read that products such as SCOOT are quite effective.

Best of luck. Now all you have to do is to decide what flavour hens you want !  :roll:

rob  8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Housing Questions
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 19:42 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
I believe Aunt sally also uses a sonic fox deterrant although that might upset your neighbours.

Yes, I have a FoxWatch for while the chooks are free ranging but why would that upset the neighbours Rob :?:  :? You've lost me there me dear  :!:

Wildeone

Housing Questions
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 19:56 »
because it sounds like the neighbours like to see the foxes! :wink:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Housing Questions
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 20:10 »
Oh... thank you Wildey  :!:  

:roll: I'm sure not having a pet fox in the garden is better than having all the chickens killed  :evil:

poultrygeist

Housing Questions
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 20:13 »
tsk. Don't deny the neighbours their pleasure.  :wink:

There must be another solution that would protect birdygirl's garden but not interfere with next door's viewing habits.

Maybe leccy fence or that water jet contraption I posted up yesterday ?

Rob  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Housing Questions
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 20:15 »
A foxwatch won't spoil their viewing pleasure Rob.

I have a foxwatch and the local fox goes through my neighbours garden instead of coming in to mine  :!:

poultrygeist

Housing Questions
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 20:20 »
Blimey. Is it that focused ?

I imagined it would have a wide range. Just goes to show, you should never assume.
In which case, it would seem ideal.  :)

rob  :)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Housing Questions
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08 »
Hi Birdiegirl

Just wanted to give you an alternative picture based on someone who's doing chicken keeping on a very low budget with kids that trash the lawn and someone else's killer cat that would like to eat them (the hens not the children that is  :shock: ).

We've used a plastic guinea pig hutch and built a pen (my husband and I don't have a DIY bone in our body but it's amazing how inspired we became when we saw the amount of poo everywhere and what the hens were doing to the rest of our garden  :lol:  :lol: ).  We used willow trellis to fence off our chooks as a pen so it's not covered which might not do for you if you have fox problems.

The problem with them free ranging was that the lawn was already in a state from the kids playing footie and the hens just scratched up the bald patches into huge mud pits.  Also the kids kept getting covered in poo because it was EVERYWHERE!!!  Despite my daily de-poops.

The fox issue is probably your biggest problem and I do know friends who have lost their chickens to foxes.  So I think if you can sort that one based on other poster's suggestions you're sorted.  I don't think you should let these problems put you off.  They are really worth the initial worry.    :D  :D

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Housing Questions
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:22 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
Hi Birdiegirl

Just wanted to give you an alternative picture based on someone who's doing chicken keeping on a very low budget with kids that trash the lawn and someone else's killer cat that would like to eat them (the hens not the children that is  :shock: ).

We've used a plastic guinea pig hutch and built a pen (my husband and I don't have a DIY bone in our body but it's amazing how inspired we became when we saw the amount of poo everywhere and what the hens were doing to the rest of our garden  :lol:  :lol: ).  We used willow trellis to fence off our chooks as a pen so it's not covered which might not do for you if you have fox problems.

The problem with them free ranging was that the lawn was already in a state from the kids playing footie and the hens just scratched up the bald patches into huge mud pits.  Also the kids kept getting covered in poo because it was EVERYWHERE!!!  Despite my daily de-poops.

The fox issue is probably your biggest problem and I do know friends who have lost their chickens to foxes.  So I think if you can sort that one based on other poster's suggestions you're sorted.  I don't think you should let these problems put you off.  They are really worth the initial worry.    :D  :D

HI Fifitrix, your plastic guineapig hutch sounds good, any chance of some pics so we can see it? I would love a eglu or cube but wouild never be able to afford it. :D
Katt

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Housing Questions
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:49 »
Hi Katt

When I was thinking of doing the chicken thing I posted this thread.  On page 3 is the pic of my hutch which cost £70 from Pet City or whatever it's called these days.

On page 5 you can see the pic of the pen we built.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=13241&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hutch&start=30

It's an interesting thread for those who want to do the chicken thing on the 'cheep'  :wink: .  I found it really helpful.

Good luck!  :D

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Housing Questions
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:11 »
Hi Fifitrix

Thanks for that, I had a good read. Love your enclosure by the way, really rustic looking and lovely :D

xx
OK first questions re housing

Started by tanya on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:29
by compostqueen
xx
Newbie - Many questions on housing

Started by waltong on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 19:32
by poultrygeist
xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 31 queries.