Snow and how to deal with it.

• 9 Replies

orchardlady

Snow and how to deal with it.
« on: September 27, 2010, 21:49 »
The snow last winter was grim for my birds. They free range in a field and I was only able to clear a small area of snow before I was exhausted (read too tubby and over 40 ha!). They did a great deal of mooching I was wondering if anyone has used scaffolders material on the ground spread out when snow is forecast and then pulled away once the snow has fallen. Does it sound like a good idea to you? I'd value your opinions and ideas.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Snow and how to deal with it.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 22:51 »
Mmmm interesting idea OL.  Should work except the snow will be quite heavy depending on how deep the fall is!

Our girls usually venture out into the snow once they realise it won't hurt them! 

Beano

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:54 »
I remember Poppy last year got herself stuck in snow up to her belly and could not get out. She just stood there rosey until I picked her up and put her onto a cleared bit of ground. It was quite funny because she was so annoyed as she tried to hang on to her dignity and walk off in a huff.
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59 »
That scaffolding fabric has got to be worth a go OL, luckily I have lots of trees around my garden to keep the ground clear of snow but in the mornings I always put several pots/trays of warm poridge made with water on the ground to encourage them out of their coops. Once out they are fine. The sablepoots though end up being confined as they are too small and their long feathered feet can't cope very well with snow  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06 »

my girls were not at all happy last winter with the snow, one girl in particular refused to come out of the run until i had cleared some of the grass for her, spoilt or what  :nowink:

Spana

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27 »
My lot seem to have a job finding their way home after snow.  Its like if their landmarks are covered up, say after a fall of snow they cant navigate the route home :unsure:
So i have a scraper, well its a flat bit of wood on the end of broom handle ::) and I clear pathways up to the henhouse doors for them and that does help a bit. :)

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:35 »
We have a small run attacked to the coops which open onto either the garden or larger run, food and water are in those and they get covered on the sides with clear plastic and the top with old truck sides.  They make up their own minds if they want to venture further into the snow and they do, doing the Monty Python silly walk :lol: :lol: :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39 »
Last year my girls leaped out of their coop - onto the roof of the baby ark - onto the table and then stood their rosey at me and looking at the ground in disgust! After about an hour they braved coming down for warm mash. The ducks didn't notice to begin with and I think they actually enjoyed it a bit as they rolled around in the snow and I had to make sure they had dried out and were warm enough at bed time  ::) I have let the trees on one side overgrow now so they have shade in summer and the snow wont settle under them this winter so they have hiding places. I think the sheeting sounds a good idea though - will be interesting to hear how well it works  :)

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 13:43 »
Last winter we had lots of snow and very hard frosts/ice on the ground for some time.  Much to my amazement mine didn't seem to mind at all.  They still stayed out in it all day.  We have recently made a shelter with clear corrugated plastic - its about 6' long x 5' wide and about 2'6" high. It's up against the house and so they can access it underneath the house and it is covered round the other 3 sides.   That gives them shelter from winds, rain and snow.   I always felt they didn't really have much space to get out of the elements and as one of them is moulting and I think one other is just starting to moult it seemed like a good way of giving them more shelter.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Junie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 17:47 »
Mine were fine in the snow last year - they quite enjoyed it - although we didn't get as much as the UK, it is usually quite rare ( or it was until we moved in - we've had it both years and before that they had not had any for 5 years! )
I did feel sorry for my Co-Nus though - I felt like I should knit them scarves or something!

xx
How Should I Deal With It?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 15:53
by evie2
xx
best way to deal with rats, help please!!!!!

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:55
by makedoandmend
xx
This looks like a good deal... is it?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 21:33
by joyfull
xx
How can I deal with my Broody Hen?

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 15:56
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 37 queries.