Sharing pots and root disturbance... Question.

• 5 Replies

Benandbill

Sharing pots and root disturbance... Question.
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:42 »
All of a sudden. lots of cabbage, PSB, broccoli, turnip, cauli and beetroot are getting too big for their seed trays and modules and need putting into pots.  I'm having to put 2 to a pot, not just because of a shortage of pots but also because I have space issues in my small garden shed and my house.  Out of the above mentioned, does anyone know if any of them in particular will be particularly hampered by root disturbance when eventually being planted out?  The pots are roughly 3 to 4 inches in diameter.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sharing pots and root disturbance... Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:51 »
Your PSB, Brocolli & cauli should be OK. Roots crops don't like too much disturbance though. I alway sow mine direct.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07 »
Thanks DD.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:33 »
My father used to grow his brassicas in a nursery bed all crouded together. When he planted them out he used to just yank them out of the ground. He said that if you broke the tap root they produced a better root system. He dipped them into something that looked like thin custard. Grew enough to feed 5 of us.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 23:30 »
I find most greens will take moving very well (in fact they enjoy it!) so I can play around with things like lettuce and pak choi, replanting several times from seedtray to pot to pot to bed to another bed.....
Just moved my winter greens from little plastic strawb punnets to large 4" deep trays where they will stay until some space becomes available later in the year.
I'm getting quite good at this now....we had winter cabbages now Spring cabbage, the autumn has just gone in (3" high) and the winter stuff has it's first leaves.
We like greens (and so do the chickens!)

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 20:31 »
viettaclark how do you find this works with spinnach?  I've taken DD's advice and borne in mind that roots are a little averse to disturbance and the rest of the turnip seeds are going in individual pots (these are classed as roots are they or are they brassicas??) but spinach, I've got blooming loads of them and another full tray to dis-semble!  Yikes!!

xx
Root disturbance in various vegetables.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 17:19
by Totty
xx
Sweetcorn root disturbance

Started by TheWhiteRabbit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 09:05
by DD.
xx
What to put in root trainers/pots...

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 20:01
by BazTheGardener
xx
Root trainer pots

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 17:54
by Ropster

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 35 queries.