Sad times

• 8 Replies

ThePragmatist

Sad times
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:41 »
Hi,

After carefully covering my carrots in fleece to try and protect them from carrot fly, I came back to the allotment to take a look at how they were getting on and do a spot of weeding.

Something, slugs I'm guessing, ate them all. They left the parsnips alone though which is good.

And my onions have bolted. Not much I can do about that, but I take heart from the fact that everyone else's seem to have bolted as well so I think it's weather related rather than anything I did in particular.

And pigeons ate all my brassicas, which was my fault. So I have planted some more and covered them in wire.

You live and learn.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Sad times
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:50 »
Yup, some you win, some you loose. For me, it's been a bad year for spinach and beetroot and my courgettes are on a go-slow (previous years I've had gluts by now). On the bright side, we've so far eaten about 10lb of strawberries and I can't harvest the brocolli or cabbages quickly enough  :)

I've also not had to do any watering for some reason...  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 14:07 »
I think the slugs ate my first two rows of carrots and my parsnips now .My new row of parsnips?well,I'm sure there were more there the other day!  ::)

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 17:03 »
I planted some brussel sprouts this week and planned to return the next morning to net them. Too late!

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 20:16 »
On my plot,I daren't even walk to the car to get netting and leave things uncovered! Bloomin' pigeons are cooing in the tree next to it.

sarajane

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 21:59 »
Hi,

After carefully covering my carrots in fleece to try and protect them from carrot fly, I came back to the allotment to take a look at how they were getting on and do a spot of weeding.

Something, slugs I'm guessing, ate them all. They left the parsnips alone though which is good.

And my onions have bolted. Not much I can do about that, but I take heart from the fact that everyone else's seem to have bolted as well so I think it's weather related rather than anything I did in particular.

And pigeons ate all my brassicas, which was my fault. So I have planted some more and covered them in wire.

You live and learn.

I think we are all doing a bit of learning this year  ???  ???  ???

lizziesdad

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26 »
Oh yes - you certainly live and learn. Last year was my first year and I grew lovely cabbage and broccolli plants from seed. I was so proud of them. My wife netted the raised beds where we planted the seed so they were undisturbed. One of the veteran allotment holders told me they were never bothered by pigeons on our site so I didn't net them after planting them out. I returned to my allotment the next day to find little stalks and nothing else. I could almost hear the pigeons laughing at me - the fool who provided them with a banquet!
This year all my brassicas are growing under nets and the pigeons are looking to eat elsewhere.

jaxter

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39 »
Slugs and pigeons huge problem here too, which doesn't help as everything is so behind this year. But one positive, no cabbage whites (probably speaking too soon!)

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53 »
same in essex,,,just went to tr  perkings,bought a load of batton,,,gona make folding netted clotches for every thing,,sad lot  lol

clip
Behind the times

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 14:11
by jaydig
xx
Germination times

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 11:48
by Snap Dragon
xx
Sweet times on

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 15:55
by Blue fingers
xx
Times Are Hard

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 21:28
by galen

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.