Poorly old cat

• 43 Replies

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly old cat
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:11 »
I took the opportunity to run the hoover round the house while she had a nap as she is not keen on it

That shows just how much you care ...and also that you are just as batty as I am, I remember doing the same  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 17:36 »
Thanks for your thoughts Kate.  My daughter who is in Scotland has said that if the vet thinks it is best for her to be put down she is going to hire a car and come home.  We are hoping it won't come to that but I didn't know that the vet would do that service so thanks for the information. 

I took the opportunity to run the hoover round the house while she had a nap as she is not keen on it

That shows just how much you care ...and also that you are just as batty as I am, I remember doing the same  :)

They have us just where they want us, only right though as they give us so much pleasure as well as the heartache.

UPDATE

Today we have seen another small improvement in her stability.  She is eating albeit small amounts, she hasn't had a poo yet which is a bit of a concern.  Her breath is not as pungent which should be a good sign.

I have been brushing her gently and massaging her tummy which she enjoys.  Gave her about 1/3rd small tin on tuna which she enjoyed so will try her on somemore shortly after she has had her daily tablet.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 19:48 »
Glasd she is doing a bit better and hope she continues to improve.

I think most vets offer this service and although I'm sure it costs more than taking them in for me it was £80 well spent knowing she hadn't gone through the distress of the catbasket and car (her two most hated things).

Sounds like she is in the lap of luxery at the moment with on tap tuna, maybe she is just a canny puss and putting in on! Thinking of you both and hope the improvement continues.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45 »
I am sure that Tess must be a relative of hers, she absolutely hates the cat basket and car trip.  When we first got her and had to take her for her annual flu jab she would get so distressed.  The vet suggested taking her in the basket and car more often so she would get used to it.  I never saw the logic in it so she only had to endure it once a year.

After the improvement on Saturday she took a step backwards yesterday morning.  She had managed a small poo but her breath was really pungent again.  She was very wobbly on her back legs again and didn't seem to know where she wanted to be. 

We persisted with the tuna, brushing and belly rubs and she began to improve as the day went on.  Think that the tablets must have been wearing off earlier in the day.  We were over the moon last night when she wobbled into the living room for her nightly rub on my husbands feet.  First time since she took ill.

This morning she seems a little more mobile and vocal telling me she wants more tuna.  I locked the cat flap last night as I didn't want her to climb out and not be able to get back in as it has been quite chilly over night.  Nearly bought train tickets for our daughter yesterday but decided to wait until we saw the vet today.  Although she has improved we want to check she is not suffering.  Appointment is at 4 pm so we will see what the vet thinks.  Not looking forward to the journey but I know she has to go.  Will enquire about the home service, hopefully we won't need it yet but it will be good to know.

Thanks for everyones good wishes, will keep you posted.  :) 

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 14:30 »
UPDATE

I must say that our vets give our cat a better examination than we get from our doctors.  We have nothing but praise for them.

There is little change in her condition so the vets have given her another injection and a second lot of tablets to take alongside the first lot.  Bagpuss had not one but two vets checking her over and they were very thorough.  They are hoping to improve her health but had to admit that at her age things are starting to shut down, liver, kidneys etc.  She is not in pain but is probably uncomfortable and tired. 

She is managing to get in and out of the catflap which is an improvement.  We have changed her food from the dried variety to the Whiskas Senior Oh so fishy pouches.  She was not managing with the dried food and we want her to keep her strength up.  She is getting regular tummy massages and gentle brushing to help stimulate her system because she is less active.  She does not seem to be as sensitive near her tail and back legs so the tablets have probably taken the inflamation in her joints down.

We don't know how long we will have her for and the vets can't put a timescale on it so we are making the most of each and every day.  She has another appointment next Monday but have been told to get straight back in touch if she deteriorates.  They do the home service and said it is adviseable as there is no stress then.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 14:56 »
It's really good to know she's not in any pain and the food change is a really good idea as it can take a lot to crunch and process dried foods sometimes, injections can dehydrate them as well so that might be why she was a bit constipated for a short while as the biscuits will swell and soak up all the water she's drunk ...cats will only drink so much!

I reckon she's loving all the attention, brushing and belly rubs  ;)

We've got fab vets as well and it's great comfort to know that they are there for with an animals well being coming first rather than trying to get as much money out of you as possible. We have one nearby that are very well known for ripping people off, almost putting people on a guilt trip to have tests done that arent really necessary to bump up bills or leaving animals in overnight when they don't need to and not explaining how much it will cost.

Ours are just fab, very clear and explain everything, don't rush you into decisions, often will charge for tablets and not a consultation, give you time and tissues if you are upset and they actually play with and talk to your animals as well. We also have some rescued rats which Bruce our vet loved but doesnt see very often and when I took two in for a check up on their chests one wanted to play so he had to check one over with the other one running about inside his jumper and sitting on his head...I don't know who had more fun, Bruce or Mabel  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 15:07 »
It is as vital as having the numer of a really good plumber.  When our plumber retired we tried four others before we found another good one.  He happens to have trained with our original plumber.  Our original vet is not a youngster so we are pleased that he is so hands on with the younger vets and does not mind doubling up on your appointment to make sure of a diagnosis.

Our daughter is hopefully coming home for a weekend at the beginning of September so we are hoping that things go well over the next few weeks.  Fingers crossed.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 15:14 »
Our original vet is not a youngster so we are pleased that he is so hands on with the younger vets and does not mind doubling up on your appointment to make sure of a diagnosis.

He's read your notes and brought reinforcements...just in case!  :tongue2:

maxyboo

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 15:18 »
At least she doesn't appear to be suffering and you are certainly doing all you can for her. I really hope she rallies round but know you will do what's best for her whatever happens. Glad you have a vet you have confidence in. They are worth their weight in gold. Give her a gentle hug from me!

ANHBUC

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 15:23 »
Our original vet is not a youngster so we are pleased that he is so hands on with the younger vets and does not mind doubling up on your appointment to make sure of a diagnosis.

He's read your notes and brought reinforcements...just in case!  :tongue2:

It was the other way round, we saw a young lady vet last week and she could not examine her as she is so feisty despite being really ill.  She had to call the older vet in.  Then yesterday we saw our usual lady vet, also young but with more experience and she called him in for a second opinion.  She was listening to her heart for ages and checking her lungs out.  When the older vet gave her the injection she was hissing and spitting and he said "she is just having a swear at us for putting her through this".  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 15:24 »
At least she doesn't appear to be suffering and you are certainly doing all you can for her. I really hope she rallies round but know you will do what's best for her whatever happens. Glad you have a vet you have confidence in. They are worth their weight in gold. Give her a gentle hug from me!

No problem, doing that in a minute.  Thanks.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 19:04 »
ANHBUC, there is little I can add to what others have said other than you are in my thoughts.  Give lots of love, hugs and belly rubs and, in your own words, take each day as it comes.  ;)
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

ANHBUC

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 19:23 »
Thanks Carolf, it is one of the reasons I love this Forum everyone is so welcoming and supportive. 

She is getting loads of cuddles, belly rubs and gentle brushing which seems to be helping.  The food pouches are going down a treat as well.  She doesn't eat them all in one go but it is nice to see her enjoying her food again.   :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30 »
UPDATE

:)

After several trips to the vets and shed loads of medication our poorly old bagpuss is much improved.  She is on Hypercard which is a heart tablet, Furosemide to aleviate water retension and Katalax laxative to compensate for the water tablets.  She is back on her Science Plan food with one pouch of soft food per day.

She now follows me down to the hens again and wanders to our neighbours 2 doors away.  Her back legs are still weak which can be funny to watch in high winds as she makes her wobbly way to her watering can for a drink.

Our daughter came home from Scotland a few weeks ago when we were taking bagpuss to the vets to assess if it was her time.  She got so upset when bagpuss made an attempt to jump up onto a garden wall as she used to.  She had not realised that her back legs would not give her the lift she needed.  She crouched down ready to make the jump but her back legs just did not work so she tried again.  Loads of tears from our daughter as she feared that the vet would say it was her time.  I have even had to bath her as she had problems squatting in her litter tray.  This did not go down very well but as she was unable to jump out of the bath it was an easier job than I thought.  Even clipping her claws which need doing regularly now is easier.  I have found that if I clip the front ones then use a small pair of pliers to press on the ends this helps her shed the old claws.  Apparently it is a problem with old cats that their front claws thicken but my method seems to be working.

The vet let us know that she is not in any pain just a little uncomfortable and as long as she is eating and drinking plenty of water she should be fine.  We are now on a repeat prescrition which has cut the vets bills down a little and bagpuss is very happy not to have the stress of a trip to the vets.

She frightened the life out of me yesterday morning though.  She normally waits for me at the bottom of the stairs when I get up to let the hens out and feed her and dose her up with her medication.  No cat at the bottom of the stairs so I went outside to let the hens out, no cat at her watering can!  Back in the house and no sign of her so I opened the curtains in the dining room as she has taken to sleeping under the table.  There she was under the table, I looked and could see she was breathing but very shallow.  When I checked her, her eyes were slightly open so I stroked her and got no reaction.  I stroked her again and still no reaction.  I thought that her heart must be giving up and this was her time.  So I went upstairs to get my daughters fluffy blanket which bagpuss used to love sleeping on.  I came downstairs and was ready to put her on my knee on the blanket for however long it took only to be greeted by a sleepy cat.  Relief is an understatement, I have never known her to sleep so deeply.  She is certainly keeping us on our toes.  This morning she nearly broke into a trot following me back from letting the hens out.  You've got to love them!   :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56 »
Thanks for the update, I was wondering about bagpuss just a couple of days ago.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
poorly pup

Started by nicky d on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:41
by Spana
xx
poorly cat

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

36 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:41
by cissie
xx
Poorly Puss Tat

Started by Caralou on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 14:47
by raeburg
xx
Miki very poorly, he had to go to vet

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

23 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 07:40
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 35 queries.