Seed Sowers

• 4 Replies

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
Seed Sowers
« on: March 16, 2010, 16:15 »
I saw an advert for Magic Seeder some while back but was rather sceptical that itr could handle different sizes and shapes of seeds - which is borne out by comments here.

Is there another device around which anyone knows of which is capable of handling small seeds and sowing accurately in to plugs and cells?
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

noshed

Re: Seed Sowers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 16:18 »
A cocktail stick?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 16:38 »
I use a pencil - with a rubber on the end. The tip, moistened, will pick up quite a large seed (well, not a broad bean! but something up to about 1mm diameter), and I sue that to place it where I want it, and then the rubber-end to just gently push it into the soil to make sure it has good contact and gets enough moisture - not to bury it! I use either the tip or rubber end to nudge seeds sideways if they land in the wrong place.

I've looked at those magic seeders and never quite persuaded myself it was worth the impulse purchase ...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 16:53 »
Tweezers will work just as well unless you're planting a very long row of something. My mother used to use one specifically for small seeds as she couldn't manage the carrot seeds well otherwise.

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 19:03 »
i got one but dont know what its called had it years its like a very thin pipe with a ball on the top which you squeeze and  hold it to your seeds let go the ball thingy and it picks up 1 seed you then hold it over your tray and sqeeze it then drops seed its very good for individual planting i think you could make one from tennis ball and old pen with small hole

xx
Seed trays

Started by Lawrence on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 15:38
by compostqueen
xx
seed sower

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2018, 08:10
by mumofstig
xx
seed hopper

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 30, 2007, 16:58
by milkman
xx
seed drill

Started by acer on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 22:00
by acer

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.