Carrot experiment

• 10 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Carrot experiment
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:29 »
Earlier in the year I described an experiment I was conducting with carrots.
I planted them singly in cardboard tubes. This was so that they each had their own space, I could put them on a shelf in the g/house away from carrot flies and I only needed a small quantity as TOH is not keen on them.

I can now reveal the results of the experiment.

It was, in the words of Graig Revell-Horwood,...........a complete deesarster.

They were about the size of my little finger, or smaller, so it's back to the drawing board.
Of course, there is a possibility that they were not well looked after in terms of watering etc. I am a bit forgetful about watering things.

I may try them in the actual plot next year, after all things couldn't be any worse.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Carrot experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:42 »
oh well, it was worth a try!!!

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:07 »
Storage boxes :) One storage box (about 18"x12"x12") gave us loads of carrots, half a dozen meals plus odd ones. They weren't giant, about 3-5 inches but certainly usable.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 13:11 »
Yea, we used containers and had great crop considering - no fly damage.  One problem I kept having was how to thin seddlings effectively.  Seed is obviously tiny so hard to avoid any thinning, and when I did think, hard to avoid pulling clumps out.  Any tips?  Maybe I was waiting too long to thin  :blink:

janet12000

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 16:41 »
I planted half my carrots in loo roll middles, and half without. The ones in the loo roll middles came out great.  :)
The ones not in them came out like a knobbly knee competition.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 18:28 »
I didn't thin at all. I mucked about when sowing making holes an inch apart with the end of a pencil and dropping a seed in each  :blush:

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 19:00 »
Yea, we used containers and had great crop considering - no fly damage.  One problem I kept having was how to thin seddlings effectively.  Seed is obviously tiny so hard to avoid any thinning, and when I did think, hard to avoid pulling clumps out.  Any tips?  Maybe I was waiting too long to thin  :blink:

Sow thinly, then let them grow on until the plants are big enough to use as baby carrots. Leave the rest to grow on to maturity.

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 21:13 »
If you want to try something a little different - try the cone shaped hanging baskets - we tried sowing the carrots in the middle and then french marigolds around the edge, although you don't get a huge crop we thought it was good and it made the most of some space.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 00:51 »

That, I think may have been the answer - thin them when they are still small - I do. Then you can pull a few more when they are big enough to eat leaving well spaced ones to grow on. I tend to sow carrots too thickly for fear of not having a good solid row... ::)

My experiment with carrots this year was to grow them on a new half-plot... Not next year - it's back to the old plot where the soil is finer rather than the still hard-to-work clay. The dry summer and the compact soild did not suit them at all.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:20 »
Were they in the greenhouse all summer?
Rachael

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:57 »
What is good post,I have found it very interesting,  really learnt alot especially the loo roll idea, will start saving them until its time to sow. Thanks Mandy

xx
The Carrot experiment

Started by TheModfather on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 19:44
by peapod
clip
carrot experiment

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 02, 2020, 07:51
by jambop
xx
carrot experiment

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 23:44
by Bozwell
xx
carrot experiment results!

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 22:26
by peapod

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 33 queries.