Roses, I need the Janet and John bit please!

• 4 Replies

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
Roses, I need the Janet and John bit please!
« on: February 22, 2009, 16:11 »
2 years ago I aquired 2 rose plants. One is a tree type thing about 3 foot tall which I promptly put in a pot with rose type compost and put by the front door. The other was a mostly dead looking twig thing about 1 foot high which the kids wanted to mark the spot where a pet was buried so in it went.

Now they both did well the first year loads of flowers n stuff, the second year not so well and I am thinking they need some attention. I did prune them a little at the end of flowering, should I prune them harder, do they need fertiliser? If so what type and is their anything else I can do for them?

I am better with vegies than flowers and have never tried anything more complicated that a few marigolds sweet peas and nasturtiums to compliment the veg.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses, I need the Janet and John bit please!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 16:48 »
The one in the pot will have used up all the goodness in the compost, and unless you have really good soil the other one is suffering as well! Try to rake out a bit of soil from the top of the pot, without damaging roots too much, and top up again with fresh potting compost.

They need feeding same as veggies do :lol: have you any well rotted manure or I  think you can use blood fish and bone or buy a branded rose fertilizer.

As for pruning take out any dry dead looking bits and any branches that are rubbing against each other just to give the branches a bit of space to grow. Should be fine then.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 14:25 »
Thank you for that I shall do this in a couple of weeks time to give it a spring boost!

I got another one for you. I was given a lovely bunch of roses for valentines day and when they stopped looking good I put them in the out house thinking I will pop them in the compost heap when I get the chance. However one of the roses' has not died but rather has started to produce green shoots. What should I do with it, they were beutiful roses so if I can grow it on  I would like too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 16:49 »
You could try to root it, but only if you have got somewhere that's out of direct sun cos you usually do this in autumn.
Cut across just under a node using a very sharp knife. Dip the bottom in rooting powder/gel and remove all except top few leaves. make a slit in the soil with your spade if your soil is clayey dribble a little grit or sand into the slit, then put your cutting down in it leaving only top bit with leaves sticking out. Keep watered in warm weather. If still growing move to desired location on the autumn.
Good luck you may be lucky :unsure:

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 20:54 »
Well I have nothing to loose on that one!

xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 10:15
by chrissie B
xx
Roses

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Roses

Started by randombod on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 15:54
by tallulah
xx
Roses

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2006, 19:38
by becky

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.