gardeners world

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

gardeners world
« on: October 23, 2021, 16:02 »
now I know it must be getting towards winter now because Monty has hung his spade locked the potting shed door  till spring although I thought he said there was another couple of programs later on in the year or was it early next year?

well its good job I've Aunt sally to talk to over the winter months I never thought about closing down for winter yet because there's just so much to do outside still got all that ploughing to do not to mention all those tender plants to bring in before Jack frost's comes  calling

and when its to wet or cold to do anything outdoors its a  warm log fire a nice cup of tea and peruse my way through those seed catalogues not forgetting to spare some time to talk to real gardeners on this site  :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: gardeners world
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 09:24 »
I enjoy being on the plot over the winter if the weather is right.  Cold crispy start to the day and bright brilliant sunshine is my favourite.  It feels like it is doing you good - more than the summer for some reason.  Probably because it is not an everyday option over those months.

Seed catalogues … well we all know how addictive those are don’t we  ::)

Then we can all commiserate on here about how many seed packets we have accumulated, amongst other conversations  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:17 »
I hope next year we have fewer visits to look at viewers' gardens, it seems there is more time spent on them than actual BBC programme content. They don't seem useful to me, or give any advice to new gardeners, so if they stay, I don't think I'll bother even recording it. I seemed to fast-forward through most of this weeks  ::)

Perhaps, heaven forbid, I'm just getting old and crotchetty  :lol: :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 16:06 »
that's definitely not the case Mum because I couldn't agree more with you you've hit the nail right on the head if more time was spent actually showing more on growing rather than devoting most of the prog on looking at other peoples gardens it mite be worth watching

there's a time and place for looking at other peoples gardens why not  have a separate prog just for that and only that then  there's all the the garden designers and florist's and uncle Tom cobbley  and all  getting on the act all that free tele time from the good old beeb to promote what they do best  ;)

I always thought he emphasis was to show people what to grow and how to grow it obviously gardeners world has lost the plot as far as that's concerned now Carol Klein's program on channel 5 a much better
option as the hole program is actually devoted to  growing things and taking cuttings sowing seeds back to  the basics of gardening  well worth watching in my opinion

as for gardeners world well I mite need to go back to cleaning the car on Friday  night as its more productive and a least i wont fall asleep :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 16:29 »
Yes, I prefer the Carol Klein programmes. She's a bit scatty  :D sometimes, but she certainly knows how to pass on her gardening knowledge to beginners.

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 16:45 »
Its probably cheap to show viewers gardens rather than show useful content.

Wasn't sure about Carol to start with but am now a convert, her programmes are so much more informative and you can't help thinking she won't judge you if things don't go to plan.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 16:49 »
I think there may well also still be limitations re. filming / number of people to make films etc.?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 21:48 »
I think there may well also still be limitations re. filming / number of people to make films etc.?

I think you may be right.

G W  does seem to divide opinion , I like Monty ,  he has a soothing voice which I hear when ever I'm reading one of his books . I take the angle on viewers gardens that you may pick up an idea that you hadn't thought of or the gardener may say something that sparks the seed of invention.

We all know that there are many areas to the subject , pruning , propagation and greenhouse growing are just a handful of the subjects that people are interested in. A grower who likes their brassicas   may not be interested in topiary. It is a wide and interesting subject and one size doesn't fit all

It does make a change to have a program that isn't preceded by the all to common announcement " the following program contains strong language"  etc  which seems to be the norm these days.

Friday evenings can be spent "wandering"  around these pages now that the evenings are drawing in .     

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 13:09 »
You could do worse than buy some Geoff Hamilton DVDs and/ or books. Now there's a chap who could make anyone feel they had green fingers.  ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 18:00 »
your so rite Goosegirl I miss good old Geoff now your talking a proper gardener always giving good sound advise and to  re-cycle what most would through away every prog full of interesting things to do and at the same time saving you money I liked him because he told as it was  no  waffling

and he also wrote good gardening books and videos that are well worth reading and watching there's just not enough information on growing on gardeners world that most would welcome especially those who own a greenhouse or intending to buy one and to grow fresh veg

as I've said many times before there's more advise from this site from professional gardeners on tap 24/7 that know what there talking about than a one hour G/W of something that is very limited in advise for the would be gardeners

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 19:17 »
Professor Stefan T. Buczacki was the only Gentleman or Lady who could pronounce 'Fenitrothion', and I used to buy loads of the stuff, and eventually finished up just pointing to a bottle in our ironmonger's and whimpering to the owner...

xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 09:58
by Truffle
xx
gardeners world lilies

Started by greenjay on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2020, 22:13
by greenjay
xx
Pennard Plants on Gardeners' World

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2019, 13:56
by theothermarg
xx
Monty Dom Gardeners World Allotment special 2016

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 18:34
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 51 queries.