Long handled spade.

• 19 Replies

Deano

Long handled spade.
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:42 »
I don't want to 'dig over' old ground here but may i sing the praises of the long handled spade. Not wishing to be over bold with my first post but i must say that anyboby who has an allotment or veg patch must have a long handled spade. They really are the future.
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Long handled spade.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 13:24 »
I've got one Deano must admit they are a great bit of kit far better than a normal spade, has yours got a handle on the top ? mines just a shaft type stands about 5' + tall.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Gwiz

Long handled spade.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 15:43 »
As an official "chronic back pain sufferer", I wouldn't be without mine. You are quite right, they are the way forward.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you start using one, you wonder why you didn't "wise up" long ago, don't you? :D

Deano

Long handled spade.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 19:43 »
Seriously the best tool to have, maybe equal to the pitchfork, the one with four prongs instead of the two. Invaluable. I dug my veg patch, which is abouty 50 feet square in no time at all. Double dug half of it as well. I'm not saying i wasn't wrecked after i finished, i was, and it took two days but my back didn't ache at all.

Mines the one without a handle. It's also the biggest one thats sold, a real mans (persons) spade!!.

mashauk

Long handled spade.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
As an official "chronic back pain sufferer", I wouldn't be without mine. You are quite right, they are the way forward.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you start using one, you wonder why you didn't "wise up" long ago, don't you? :D

Ooh, my back's been really bad recently with digging, can you recommend a place to get one of the spades from please?

Gwiz

Long handled spade.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:18 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Quote from: "gwiz"

Ooh, my back's been really bad recently with digging, can you recommend a place to get one of the spades from please?

I have, in the past, seen them at B&Q, and FOCUS. failing that, you might want to order one from a local garden centre.
Oh yes, I have seen them in Wickes (builders merchants/ DIY store)
good luck with the search :D

mushroom

Re: Long handled spade.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:44 »
Quote from: "Deano"
I don't want to 'dig over' old ground here but may i sing the praises of the long handled spade. Not wishing to be over bold with my first post but i must say that anyboby who has an allotment or veg patch must have a long handled spade. They really are the future.

If you like the long-handled spade, you'll love an azada. Have a look at http://www.get-digging.co.uk/ (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer). I have the largest one. I'm well over 6ft tall and these azada things are a revelation.

mashauk

Long handled spade.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 11:32 »
I'm only 5'2" but find digging really painful, not sure exactly what's wrong with me, but have back ache and knee ache quite a lot, thought it was sciatica but pretty sure it isn't now, will invest in some new tools, thanks for the link!

Deano

Long handled spade.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 13:06 »
That link is also the place i bought my spade from. I didn't want to give it our in case mods thought i was spamming.

I think the guy imports them from Spain.

WG.

Long handled spade.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 13:20 »
Quote from: "Deano"
That link is also the place i bought my spade from. I didn't want to give it our in case mods thought i was spamming.

I think the guy imports them from Spain.
No problem about posting  a commercial link when you are not connected to it in any way.

Site Policies are published in the Welcome Forum announcements. http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8645  :D

Trillium

Long handled spade.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 16:29 »
I too like the longer handled spade and shovels because I'm not a shorty either. It's great to be able to stand straight and simply reach out the spade or shovel end to lift out rocks and such. Really minimizes back strain. I'm also ordering a Canadian version of an azada, called a Polish Hoe, with a 40" handle. Can't wait to put that puppy to use - flat trench bit on one end, a pointed one on the other.  :D

noshed

Long handled spade.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 17:18 »
Bit cruel on the puppy though
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Gwiz

Long handled spade.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 17:22 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Bit cruel on the puppy though

don't worry, there's plenty more where it came from.

noshed

Long handled spade.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 18:50 »
Good point

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Long handled spade.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 19:34 »
Must agree, long handled spades are the future. I find I could dig all day with one of these compared to about half an hour with a normal spade plus coffee breaks :wink:

xx
Long handled dibber

Started by supersprout on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 07:31
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Long Handled forks

Started by Kingstown_peter on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 16:24
by rowlandwells
xx
Long handled potatoe fork

Started by bravemurphy on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 18:52
by dorimower
xx
long handled Irish spades

Started by Laverne88 on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 06:43
by Laverne88

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 30 queries.