What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2017, 15:04 »
Mad 3 hour weeding session before the rain set in too much.

Also tied the boysenberry back onto its post and wires.  I discovered roaming canes whilst weeding the raspberries  ::)  It was a bit of a fight, but after 3 falls and a submission, I emerged victorious.  Covered in mud and with leaves in my hair, but victorious  :lol:

chillimummy

« Reply #436 on: September 04, 2017, 20:39 »
Managed 3 hour visit and dug over big bed where very little germinated.  ;)
All that is left there are turnips and spinach that has gone to seed and a couple of rows of pak choi and cabbage.
Around raspberries was full of weeds so started to pull up the biggest and removed black plastic covering some of them. Will dig over and weeds that bit next visit.
Picked tons of plums and will be freezing them.
At home my Brandywine tomatoes are finally ripening  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2017, 10:31 »
I was planning a morning plot visit before work, but it has turned wet here  :(

What I have managed to do is sow some seeds in the greenhouse for overwintering onions, spinach and some oriental greens for the plot.  I also sowed some salads and herbs to grow in the greenhouse over autumn and winter  :)

chillimummy

« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2017, 21:10 »
Another day off work and another 3 hour digging and weeding session. :)
Dug and weeded large bed where onions and beans had been.
Started digging and weeding around raspberries.
Plot starting to look better finally.
Back tomorrow to continue.

chillimummy

« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2017, 22:19 »
More preparing for autumn  ;)
Finished digging and weeding around raspberries and bed next to them where blackcurrants were last year and looks so much better.
Still have brambles popping up there and haven't grown anything there this year because of that.
Not sure what to grow there.
Picked loads of raspberries.
Feeling like getting on top of weeds  :D 

chillimummy

« Reply #440 on: September 10, 2017, 22:35 »
Persuaded OH to come for couple of hours before rain this afternoon.
Removed black plastic around and behind plum tree and OH rotovated so soil nice and crumbly for next year  :)
Weeded around pak choi which are looking very scrawny.
Put large piece of black plastic over wild flower weedridden patch ready to dig over hopefully before weather worsens or next year.
On a mission to get new half plot sorted as never really felt had got on top of it after taking on last November.
Love having full plot but it's hard work too  ;) 

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2017, 05:43 »
Pulled up remaining sweetcorn stems, harvested, accidentally broke off a winter squash, seems pretty ripe so fingers crossed it will cure OK. First year on this plot, turns out the vine we inherited has black dessert grapes, found out when pruning back the leaves to let more light in, they were lurking beneath the unripe green bunches!

snowdrops

« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2017, 08:49 »
Persuaded OH to come for couple of hours before rain this afternoon.
Removed black plastic around and behind plum tree and OH rotovated so soil nice and crumbly for next year  :)
Weeded around pak choi which are looking very scrawny.
Put large piece of black plastic over wild flower weedridden patch ready to dig over hopefully before weather worsens or next year.
On a mission to get new half plot sorted as never really felt had got on top of it after taking on last November.
Love having full plot but it's hard work too  ;) 

I know what that feeling too well. I needed to find ways of making it a bit easier & that's why I went down the root of slabbed paths & narrow beds & use of weed membrane. I still need to do more but I'm going to try a couple of beds no dig next year I think
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2017, 16:25 »
Glad am not alone in feeling bit overwhelmed by plot snowdrops  ;)
Am thinking next year about going down the route you have taken with paths.
When I just had a half plot, I took so long digging up all the grassy paths to make the most of every bit of it. ;)
Now I have the full plot, like you I want to make it easier to manage, especially as OH only comes with me when forced  ;)
Am planning on putting a path down the middle with weed fabric, wood edging, courtesy of freecycle  :D and bark which a fellow plot holder can get cheaply.
Might have one or two paths across and OH is making me a few raised beds for where the soil is poor or shaded.
Was stood today planning it all and talking to myself at plot after more weeding  :D
The plots next to me and opposite are divided by paths and both agree that it is easier.
What I don't finish this year, will tackle next year and am hoping by end of spring to have my plot matching the picture of it I have in my head  :D         

snowdrops

« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2017, 21:57 »
Take a look at my diary, not that I've updated it at all this year, my 2 1/2 plots are side be side so I have a path at each outside edge, 1 down the middle & 2 more on each half, this creates 3 long beds on each half, each about 5ft wide & the length of the plot minus sheds, fruit cage & compost bins. This allows access for the rotavator, which of course might become redundant if I like the no dig. Hubby does help now & again,but all has to be done at high speed, no chance of time to stop & stare, have a think, potter 🙄

compostqueen

« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2017, 11:52 »
I visited my hellishly weedy plot yesterday for yet another weeding session. It's got but neglected of late what with one thing and another

Some good Veg though!  :D.  Came home with Desirees, onions red and brown, courgettes green and yellow :)

I sawed up some manky old wood for a weed fire 😎

I forgot my bottle of water so had the idea of getting some out of the plot water tank.  I schlepped over there with my bottle and watering can to displace the water to activate the filler upper.  Dismantled the covers over the filler. Couldn't fit the bottle under it. Traipsed back to my shed for sommat smaller. Back again but this time with a teapot. Still too big!  Dammit. Went back with two mugs 😁  By now the cistern had stopped refilling so I had to repeat the entire operation. Walking back to my plot with full cups of water I had to titter. Not too much as I was afraid of spilling it or lurching forward over a mole hill 😃 What a palaver for  a hot drink. Turned the gas on and nowt!  Nil, zilch, nada!  The so**ing gas had run out!   😩😩😩😩.

So by this time I was parched so plucked a red apple off my tree. Delicious!  Saved 😁

rowlandwells

« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2017, 18:19 »
had a day on my daughters allotment digging spuds and generally tidying up the plot have had quite a busy week making space in my workshop for yet another freezer

because this has been a good year for us on the allotments with plenty of veg we had to buy another freezer to replace the one we scraped 4 freezers in total now and all full mostly with fruit and veg

but we can't complain its  all good grub and well worth the effort thank god for our allotment and we have to harvest our own potatoes in the next couple of days

there's nothing like growing and eating your own veg  :D

chillimummy

« Reply #447 on: September 14, 2017, 22:33 »
Take a look at my diary, not that I've updated it at all this year, my 2 1/2 plots are side be side so I have a path at each outside edge, 1 down the middle & 2 more on each half, this creates 3 long beds on each half, each about 5ft wide & the length of the plot minus sheds, fruit cage & compost bins. This allows access for the rotavator, which of course might become redundant if I like the no dig. Hubby does help now & again,but all has to be done at high speed, no chance of time to stop & stare, have a think, potter 🙄
Thanks, I will have a look at your diary to get some ideas.
Started putting cardboard around fruit bushes and am going to put a weed fabric path around them, L shaped to keep them from encroaching onto rest of plot  :D
My OH is the same with the high speed approach.
Sometimes when I get to plot, it's lovely to catch up with people I haven't seen for a while.
Getting the "Paddington bear hard stare" from OH means he wants to get done and home quickly  :D     

Aled

« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48 »
Waiting for the rain to stop!
Cheers
Aled

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2017, 19:43 »
Me and Mrs T did an hour this evening, weeding and getting rid of the tired old pea plants etc, starting to clear it ready for autumn.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 50 queries.