WEEDS.......

• 9 Replies

Ozwytch

WEEDS.......
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:59 »
I acquired my own gorgeous (overrun with weeds and god knows what else)allotment  two years ago it took me a year to clear it up, then early last year i suffered heart problems and was unable to work on it at all, now this spring, i have been on and cleared weeds and dug over the patches i want to use now as the plot is quite large, i took up every single root and covered the area in growmore - GUESS WHAT  :ohmy:.... it fed the weed, now i have a whole carpet of dandelions that sticky stuff with bobbles and what i think is going to be buttercups, and some smelly thin red weed -  i have been digging all week on dry days getting out the roots and getting nowhere fast, but i will persevere, after all that, my question is, can i put the weeds into my compost bin? I have filled the green gardening bin TWICE with just weeds that's how many there are, and the binman complained about the weight even though i shook every bit of soil out of every weed it was still heavy told me if it was that heavy next time they wont empty it? Dilema?  >:( :blush: :wacko:
)O( Ozwytch
Thick as a brick Newbie. desperate allomentor in the making .......

Brummie

Re: WEEDS.......
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 13:28 »
I wouldn't put Pernicious weeds in (i.e. bindweed, marestail, Japanese knotweed) in to compost and also wouldn't put couch grass in either.

Usually I avoid composting any weeds just to be on the safe side.
It can't rain all the time.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 13:31 »
weeds are part of the allotment - years and years of seeds that are dormant until the ground is cleared and are exposed to light.  Spring, rain and warm sunshine and it's a race to get a foothold over other weeds which is why they grow so fast compared to crops.

Why not bag up the weeds (the buttercup, dandelion, goosegrass (sticky weed) etc) in an empty compost bag, tie up and leave it next to your compost bin on the shady side.  Most compost bags don't biodegrade as quickly as rubbish bags and after a couple of years (without light or water), the weeds should hopefully have died and can then be added to the compost bin (or if you are allowed bonfires, burn the weeds and use the ash like fertiliser)

bigben

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 13:52 »
Why not bag up the weeds (the buttercup, dandelion, goosegrass (sticky weed) etc) in an empty compost bag, tie up and leave it next to your compost bin on the shady side. 
I would sink the bag into your water butt - as the weeds decompose in the water you will get some of the goodness back from them and after a couple of months compost the slop that is left.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 20:03 »
I wouldn't put Pernicious weeds in (i.e. bindweed, marestail, Japanese knotweed) in to compost and also wouldn't put couch grass in either.

Agreed. I dont compost bindweed or marestail on the theory that they like to live deep underground and would probably live to fight another day.  Never had any problem composting couchgrass, although my bin is 3 foot cubed-  solid wood sides, light proof cover (blanket in plastic fertiliser sack) and I leave the stuff in there for at least 18 months. The only thing that comes out exactly the same as it went in is duckweed.  (did I say I had a wet plot  :tongue2:)

The old codgers* used to say "one years seeding make seven years weeding".  Seven years may be a bit long for long dormant seeds to spring back to life every time you dig over the soil, although poppy seeds are famous for lying dormant underground for years.

* Old codgers are rare nowadays.  Most of them have been run out of town by angry mobs of plotholders brandishing pitchforks after hearing their words of wisdom.

(P.S. I thought Japanese Knotweed was notifiable? - so you certainly shouldn't compost it)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 20:08 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Ozwytch

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 21:25 »
thanks very much everyone for replying I really appreciate that, i think there are too many weeds at present for the water butt one, but i didnt think to burn them and use the ash, that sounds like a good idea. many many thanks xxxx 8) :)

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 21:45 »
I'd compost everything all those weeds have robbed goodness out of your soil and should be made to put it back! just drown perennial weed roots for a month or two before adding them to the compost bin.
Faff free zone!

Ozwytch

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11 »
 :) Thank you Bahz .... definatelly appreciated.

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:20 »
If you do burn them make sure you can have fires on your allotment first. :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45 »
I compost everything, but don't empty my compost heap for 3 years. If you keep piling it  on the weeds that try to grow get covered and give up. I don't turn it. I add layers of soil occasionally. When I do empty it I remove any unrotted stuff off the top first, and put it back in when I have removed the rest.

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
weeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 08:55
by Kristen
xx
what to do with weeds?

Started by gathsman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 10:05
by jrko

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 36 queries.