my rose heads are dropping off

• 11 Replies

chrissie B

« on: May 30, 2008, 08:24 »
we have a red rose and last year it was the best as it flowered all summer long but this year some of the roses are dropping off at the break off point , they are not withered , they are just dropping off , any ideas .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32 »
it's probably the heavy rain. Some roses hate rain and the flowers will rot and fall off.  They'll be ok though

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:37 »
manure on the surface,,,, feed it .have you had a frost recentl /are the heads black just on the stem before the head...dropping the flower heads is a sign ,among others of shock to the rose  :(
still alive /............

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 13:23 »
we haven't had rain for weeks and the rose heads are perfect no blemishes they just look like someone cut then 3 ins below the flower, and definitely no frost .
Chrissie b

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 18:03 »
check for ants  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 21:40 »
Another misterious one, Chrissie, it'd so much better if you post a photo!

Anyhow, if you have no thrips on them and no winds and other weather is suspect, no sign of disease and they are well watered and fed, one starts to suspect some devil birds or two-legged rats. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:38 »
if you mean by 2 legged rats children or naughty adults , if they could pass rocky our dog (see avatar ) only bigger then they would have more things on their mind than my roses  :lol:  :lol:
they look very healthy except for the flowers dropping off , i will give them a feed and sprinkle a bit ant powder .
thanks for the help guys .
Chrissie b

weeeed

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 18:49 »
The roses aren't on a level with his tail are they chrissie? My girls are driving me mad this year I feel like I could take on the full england rugby team with the saves I've made so far! There must be a way to stop their tails wagging without upsetting them. Hope you are ok, Jan :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

gobs

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 22:37 »
Quote from: "weeeed"
The roses aren't on a level with his tail are they chrissie? My girls are driving me mad this year I feel like I could take on the full england rugby team with the saves I've made so far! There must be a way to stop their tails wagging without upsetting them. Hope you are ok, Jan :wink:

Good thinking there Weed, hope it's the right answer. :wink:  :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 19:29 »
for once rocky is not to blame although he had done for a few plants and ornaments in the past , from the bottom of the rose head to the point where they naturally break off the heads just droop over and then in the morning we find they have dropped off at the break off point , Ive just been putting them in a glass hate throwing them away .
Chrissie b

weeeed

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 21:30 »
Just had a brain wave  :idea: Take a look inside the roses that have fallen off. I seem to remember once having the same problem and it was a sort of caterpillar. Saw fly or something. I used a powder in the evenings and it helped a little. Hope that isn't your prob Chrissie cos I lost most of mine and ended up cutting them down and burning the offending bits. Good luck, Jan. Oh the new pup arrives this weekend :lol:  :wink:

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:42 »
well all the first lot of roses are all gone now and there are lots of buds and the stems look alot stronger so fingers crossed , but i have noticed with my other roses they seem a bit slow in replacing the flowers could too much water be the problem as i have been told i water too much .
chrissie b

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Cats dropping!

Started by MoreWhisky on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 11:28
by Bohobumble
xx
Roses - leaves turning brown and dropping

Started by boogaloo on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 12:13
by Goosegirl
xx
sunflower heads

Started by Neil Doncaster on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2014, 19:32
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.