Hen died instantly

• 7 Replies

Fluffs

Hen died instantly
« on: March 16, 2014, 19:42 »
Hi, we have had the worst day, asked hubby to put cockerel away in shed so I could let my 3 new ex batts out for a little while as they are still bald, by the way I have 9 bantams & the 3 ex batts, anyway cockerel ended up getting through fence into neighbours garden & was savaged by dog, our chickens have no fear of dogs as we have 3. This was bad enough then we are sat in garden waiting for hubby to dig grave & glanced at 1 of my bantams & thought she didn't look well so picked her up & she sound like she had a wet rattle, immediately on picking her up blood started pouring from her mouth & started fitting, she died within a minute. We are all absolutely devastated as they are basically our pets. Kids inconsolable. Do you think it could have been shock? Although we have been keeping chickens for a couple of years now, they have all been fit & healthy so have no idea why she died so suddenly!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Hen died instantly
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:23 »
How awful! Hope you can find out what that is - to protect you from it happening again and advise us...
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:10 »
it could well be shock.
Keep an eye on the others, check them over for illness signs, eyes/nose etc.
check boundries and plug any gaps.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02 »
yes hens can have strokes and heart attacks, but also perhaps she got away from the dog and the cockerel died protecting her, she may have had internal injuries from this. Make sure you plug that gap as soon as possible.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 14:37 »
What a horrible thing to happen!  Patch up that hole in the fence right away and I'm sorry for this awful experience for you and your children!  :(
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

barley

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 19:38 »
how awful for you to witness all this ((( big hugs))))

Fluffs

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 20:33 »
Thank you all for your kind words, got up this morning & hen house seemed very quiet, was dreading going in but they all seem ok, it was only the cockerel that got through as we were all outside, admittedly I had to run indoors when I heard that he had caught it, unbearable! Trouble is we have a thick fir hedge & the fencing is behind that, now fixed but my husband just couldn't get through in time. We are now looking to also put fencing this side of hedge. Thank you all again.

Dabhand

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 16:52 »
Hi Fluffs, 

Welcome to the group.  So sorry to hear of your recent plight.  Please do keep posting and chatting on here with
everyone as it can be a great source of info, friendly chatter and lots of laughs.

Dawn

xx
Hen died - cause?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:09
by LittleRedHen
xx
Why has my hen died?

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 17:19
by tomgood99
xx
Another hen has died

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 08:36
by poultrygeist
xx
She died........

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 11:31
by azubah

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 29 queries.