clay

• 11 Replies

kellyb

clay
« on: November 14, 2007, 17:16 »
can i grow vegetables in heavy clay soil, or would raised beds be a better option? if so what can i make it out of? i have access to logs but would thes be a good option?

Sally A

clay
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 17:36 »
Heavy clays not too bad for somethings, is it lime or acidic? (easy way to know - what colour are your hydrangeas in your area?)

there has been a previous posting about breaking up heavy clay, have a quick search using the option at the top of the screen.

I'm on lime/clay but the ground has been broken up gradually after many years of digging in compost and poo.

splodger

clay
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 17:36 »
hi kelly - with raised beds - the better the timber - the longer it will last

i use alsorts for my beds - but they are not raised as such - more edged - so that i can strim the paths without hitting the soil or my veggies  :lol:

if it's really claggy soil - you may want to lighten it - with sand, compost, muck, leaf mould - it will all help

piskieinboots

• Experienced Member
clay
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 17:46 »
I've got heavy clay but as I move house on a somewhat regular basis (RAF wifey  :roll: ) I use raised beds.  If I was static in my own property I would set about opening (improving) the soil rather than using raised beds.

I use link-a-bord for mine, being plastic there is an element of winter protection with them..... they are online and I think - reasonable.  I can dismantle them when I have to move and off I go again :D
in need of getting in the garden

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
clay
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 17:53 »
are garden was clay.if you mix with mushroom compost that helps.thankfully i have moved now. :lol:

shaun

clay
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 19:08 »
I grow on clay soil kelly but i dont use raised beds.its a case of manure,compost,leafmould.manure,compost,leafmould.manure,compost,
leafmould.washed grit sand also helps  but not to much just blind the surface and dig it in ,ohh and plenty of digging and rotavating.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

clay
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 19:11 »
All of the above kellyb but I'd add gypsum since that is even known as claybreaker.  Plenty of manure, leafmould and gypsum.

kellyb

clay
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20 »
thanks for the help, i will try to work with the soil i have as i have plenty of manure and mulch avaliable. but the ground has never been worked before as it was part of the common before it was my garden.

piskieinboots

• Experienced Member
clay
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 06:35 »
depending on the size - it may be worth hiring a rotavator to break it up and leave it in clods for over-wintering - the frost will give you a huge helping hand

just a thought

brucesgirl

clay
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:41 »
I have clay soil, and it really does improve quite quickly if you keep putting organic matter in.
Dug dad's sandy soil last week, and it was horrible, made nasty noises when I put the fork in!

Rob the rake

clay
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 08:52 »
There's no problem in raising beds on clays and it can be a distinct advantage in wet seasons. Before you bed up though, spend a couple of years improving the soil with lots of organic matter and sharp sand.
I find compost better than manure for improving texture. Being finely divided, the compost seems to have an instant effect on soil structure.

Rob. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mkhenry

Re: clay
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 22:02 »
Quote from: "kellyb"
can i grow vegetables in heavy clay soil, or would raised beds be a better option? if so what can i make it out of? i have access to logs but would thes be a good option?

Clay soil does have a few disadvantages but it also has great worthwhile properties that you can turn to your advantage.

Work the soil as you have been advised and it will pay great dividends.

I have very heavy brick working clay and do use raised beds normally with great success. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

xx
Is it clay? (plus clay test results)

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 07:52
by Fisherman
xx
i need help with clay...heavy clay

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 09:58
by woodburner
xx
clay ?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 18:42
by zazen999
xx
Clay

Started by MuddyDoris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 11:42
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 31 queries.