Help with clay

• 15 Replies

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
Help with clay
« on: July 02, 2012, 14:24 »
I today made a effort to dig a area of my plot which I have not touched yet, I have only had the allotment since Sept. It seems that I have a seam of clay how is it best to treat. Help please :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 14:32 by Higster »
qui audet adipiscitur

Trillium

Re: Help with clay
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 14:33 »
If it's just a thin seam, then work around it. If the whole area is clay, it'll need a few years of work. You'll need to find loads of rotted manure (checked that it doesn't contain aminopyrallid), loads of compost, shredded leaves and straw, some sharp sand and whatever else you can get to build the tilth. In this, I'd recommend you mark paths that you'll keep as paths and improve 'bed' areas only to save effort and supplies.

The other alternative is to build raised beds about 12" tall and fill the with good soil mixed with compost/manure. For this some folk purchase used scaffolding planks to cut costs, others manage to salvage free wood from places.

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 14:39 »
Thank youTrillium, I have raised beds on the other side of the plot, so that would seem to be the way to go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 14:48 »
That doesn't look too bad to be honest, working/digging it each year will make a huge  difference.
Specially if you leave it rough dug over winter for the frosts to work on it, and dig in a bit of compost/manure as and when you can, adding lime can also help break it up.
It makes very fertile soil with a bit of effort  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 15:17 »
You may have a clay "pan" where there is an impermeable layer on which your top soil lays. Dig in grit and sharp sand (not builders') in the lower layer for "instant" results to make a start for drainage improvement, then decide if you want raised beds (I did) and add lime to make the clay particles bind together as Trillium said. Clay can be acidic (do a pH test) so this, and/or adding spent mushroom compost which also contains lime and shouldn't be expensive for the amount you get, will also help. Add as much compost and well-rotted AP-free manure on the surface and leave for the worms and the winter frosts to work. You should have a reasonable tilth to sow seeds in next year. If you continually break up the clay clods on the surface and incorporate them with your grit, compost etc, you should soon have a good and fertile bed. Raised beds do need watering more than you think but that shouldn't be a problem if this year's summer is anything to go by!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 16:25 »
i'd use a rotivator to break it up, add sharp sand, manure and cheap compost. moisten the clay by hosing water to ease the load on the rotivator and break and mix the lot up.

was wondering if the bigger peices could be moisten and used to make some pots. i've seen pots being made without a rotating table  :tongue2:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 16:58 »
my entire plot is like this and i couldn't afford to buy a load of topsoil. I double dug everything, added sand, mixed in a bit of compost and then whenever I planted anything I made a big hole and added more compost, chicken manure pellets and blood and bone and everything is doing fine in it. The plot is draining a lot better now and I plan to double dig again in autumn and add lots of manure. My plot was previously left untended for quite a few years.

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 17:24 »
Thank you all so much, the way to go is rotivate some compost and sand in, the soil is very wet, so hopefully I should be able to use the rotivator :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 18:56 »
I'm slightly concerned by the lighter orange coloured clay.  This can often be sub-soil, which is very difficult to work and has no nutritional value at all.

When you dig down, Higster, do you have a layer of darker clay and then you reach the layer of lighter clay?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 19:38 »
I know that subsoil clay needs a lot of work for it to reach a state where it is easy for plants to access the nutrients in subsoil, but there are nutrients in it.
The subsoil is a 'zone of accumulation' where all the nutrients that leach down from the topsoil end up. Comfrey is one of a few plants that can access the nutrients from that layer and we access those nutrients by using the leaves in compost or as a liquid feed.
Subsoil usually just needs a lot of compost/manure added to it to increase microbial activity and digging/rotovating to aerate it sufficiently

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 20:07 »
Interesting point, MoS.

Certainly in my City and Guilds gardening course we weren't taught that; merely that it was nutrient-free and shouldn't be gardened.

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 20:38 »
I'm slightly concerned by the lighter orange coloured clay.  This can often be sub-soil, which is very difficult to work and has no nutritional value at all.

When you dig down, Higster, do you have a layer of darker clay and then you reach the layer of lighter clay?
The top layer on top is indeed dark and it goes lighter lower, will I need to remove this lighter clay

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 20:57 »
Interesting point, MoS.

Certainly in my City and Guilds gardening course we weren't taught that; merely that it was nutrient-free and shouldn't be gardened.
I just remembered stuff from my OU unit, back in the 80s, about soil and modern farming methods which were eroding topsoils and the required amelioration of the subsoil.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 21:14 »
Does garden lime break down clay??
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 21:19 »
Does garden lime break down clay??
Yes, as I mentioned above  ;)

xx
Is it clay? (plus clay test results)

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 07:52
by Fisherman
xx
i need help with clay...heavy clay

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 09:58
by woodburner
xx
clay

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 13:15
by compostqueen
xx
clay ?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 18:42
by zazen999

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 34 queries.