Lettuce issues

• 4 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Lettuce issues
« on: May 12, 2012, 17:44 »
I had a go at growing lettuce last year, I grew them in containers but they didn't do very well and never got very big or beyond a few leaves, they we're cos lettuce and never got any heart to them.

I'm trying again this year but worried they won't come to much again. I have seeded cos lettuce seeds into a tray of seed compost. I have had them in the greenhouse and after 2 weeks they got about an inch high so I pricked them out into cells (tray of 24 cells)

This was last weekend, they look fine but do not seem to of gwown much at all in the last week. They are still in the greenhouse.

I know not much is growing fast at the moment due to the weather but should I be feeding them or doing anything differently?
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

allot2learn

Re: Lettuce issues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 17:54 »
I have two trays of lettuce in similar stages. They got to about 1" high then stopped. I've put them in the cold frame and can stay there untill things pick up. At least they are cool and not going leggy. I wouldn't feed them, they'll just pick up when the weather does.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 18:02 »
My greenhouse got very warm today. It just touched 90deg with the auto window fully open. Do you think it is to warm for the lettuce?  Should I stick the tray of cells out in the garden during the day.

Going to order some greenhouse shading tomorrow as its a 6x6 greenhouse and gets hot pretty quickly in the sun (when it comes out of course)

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 18:28 »
Lettuce is a cool garden plant and if too hot they can die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 18:32 »
They would be better off planted some where, especially if you can plant them somewhere sheltered from the worst of the weather.

Mine are protected from the worst of the rain by a fence and are growing, not quickly, but steadily.

xx
Bay plant issues

Started by matt2005 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 21:02
by fatcat1955
xx
Size issues

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 13:37
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Leek issues

Started by Jiskoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 18:08
by Jiskoot
xx
cauliflower issues

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 20:44
by 44hexx

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.