Potatoes probably wont have a prayer

• 8 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Potatoes probably wont have a prayer
« on: April 23, 2012, 15:52 »
I planted some earlies couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday I thought Id do some maincrops, even though it was really damp.  I went to make a trench and there was a small puddle of water, and I didnt bother.  It looks like it is quite a waterlogged bed, and I expect my potatoes that are in there will probably rot.  So disheartened.  I feel I do everything slightly wrong, from sowing to growing, like Frank Spencer of the allotment world!

Billnorfolk

• without chooks and garden could do this all day
Re: Potatoes probably wont have a prayer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 16:14 »
Hi Amanda

Probably need compost manure or straw digging in to open it up a wee bit and help with drainage,when wet best not to walk about on it as it compacts and makes it harder to drain.If you get a chance open it up with a garden fork stick it in and prise the ground open may help.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 21:26 »
dont worry they maybe ok this year i planted my 1st and 2nd earliers the width aprt that i dhould have had the rows so my earthing up is gonna be mad

pots are hardy so you never know

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 21:39 »
Hi Amanda, 1st thing to remember is " the man/woman who never made a mistake, never made anything "

your earlies may be ok, they've had a couple of weeks to get started, like Flitwickone says they are quite hardy.

gardening's a funny game, you can do everything right and get hardly anything and everything wrong and get a bumper crop.  :lol:
So just try not to worry too much do your best, have fun and enjoy what you do  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 21:57 »
Do not worry too much Amanda over the years I have seen many fields with standing water in
the potatoe rows for days on end with no detrimental effect to the end result.
If you think the soil is holding water due to being compacted you could use a fork to loosen the soil as close as possible to your seed without disturbing them. 
Retired but never short of a job.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 22:14 »
Thanks a lot.  I know I think I am a worrier so will just have to learn by my mistakes.  We have had a lot of rain havent we, especially in sunny Manchester!   A lot of the soil is boggy but then I forget it seems okay when its dry.  I know most of the beds were acid when I tested it, which I know potatoes like, but do they like swimming too?!  it shouldnt be compacted, as its been well dug, and we have took great care not to stand on it, so I will do what you recommend and dig the fork around it a bit.  I have fleece on also but I dont suppose that will have much effect.  I put that on a couple of weeks ago when we had some frosty nights.  I have some King edwards and desiree to put in, will just wait a bit longer,  will that be okay??

Heard today we are gonna have a really wet May though!!!

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 22:37 »
The fleece will protect from frost however it also is great at keeping soil moist by stopping the wind drying the soil maybe you have a bit of juggling to do frost protection  v wind drying, If the potato foliage is not  showing above ground maybe drying would be benificial, , your call on how convenient it is to remove the fleece and recover if frost is forecast.
good luck.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:25 »
and it is not too late to plant the others either :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08 »
Thanks Abbeyview, think I will take your advice and remove it, and like you say muddle and juggle my way around it !!!

clip
Wont be long now

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2023, 18:27
by Potty Plotty Lotty
angry
peas wont grow

Started by cobblers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 13:37
by peapod
xx
Oh dear maybee this wont work :(

Started by -Cat- on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 13:19
by -Cat-
xx
Why wont peas grow in my propagator?

Started by ritadaisy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 07:08
by DD.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 34 queries.