What to do with tomatoes.

• 23 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
What to do with tomatoes.
« on: April 10, 2012, 19:46 »
Okay have to admit really fed up with the tomatoes in my sitting room. Cannot believe I am stuck with them in the house till June. The problem is they looked realatively healthy. They were quite leafy, but the last week they have grown lots. They are Starting to lean sideways. I think purley because they have become quite tall and heavy. Most stems are thick and green. I dont know whether to pot them on. Would a healthy tomato plant lean? compared to wilkos tomato plants the other day  the only difference was that mine were taller but with the same leaf density. Ta Casper  :)

starry

Re: What to do with tomatoes.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 19:54 »
mine are a bit like yours and I have started to put them in their pots ready to go out side but will be keeping them in my warm conservatory until end of may/June, they are leaning because they are growing towards the light I just keep turning me every couple of days and they are fine   ;)

some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 19:58 »
Mine are now in their final pots in the greenhouse. I put the heater on if it is going to be frosty at night. I also cover them with newspaper. You have to decide which is the best for them..leaving them in the house or putting them in the greenhouse. It's a bit early for putting them directly outside, if you were intending that.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 20:00 »
Depending on where you live, tomato plants should be able to go into a greenhouse in May, and outdoors in June - if Wilcos are selling quite large plants now they are following the lead of many suppliers these days in trying to sell tender plants far too early for most people to grow them on successfully.  :nowink:

Don't know where you bought your plants from or whether you grew them from seed yourself, but it sounds like they are also a bit too advanced for mid April - you will just have to learn to admire them for a bit longer!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 20:50 »
Growing tomatoes from seed has fascinated me.  Especially as I did the experiment of sowing some gardeners delight end of Jan, and doing well.  Then sowed some in March which in some peoples opinion is still early, and I cannot believe they will ever be large and that I will really be able to pick tomatoes on it.  They are only 4 inches high the March ones (moneymaker).  Glad I have wrote everything down as guidance for next year.

Amanda x

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 21:48 »
Growing tomatoes from seed has fascinated me.  Especially as I did the experiment of sowing some gardeners delight end of Jan, and doing well.  Then sowed some in March which in some peoples opinion is still early, and I cannot believe they will ever be large and that I will really be able to pick tomatoes on it.  They are only 4 inches high the March ones (moneymaker).  Glad I have wrote everything down as guidance for next year.

Amanda x
its a long season amanda they do produce tomatoes and you would wonder one day gosh they do catchup dont they.
6 years ago when I dont know about frost/sowing time etc. I bought moneymaker seeds from BeeQ and sowed them in 3" pots outdoors on april 10 (during easter holidays) didnt bothered to worry about them and they did produced 5 good tomatoes (without feed, or anything) so there you go  :)
and on the original question they are bit leggy when indoors. what I do with outdoor tomatoes is to take them outside on a sunny day and bring them indoors which do check their growth. this can only be done from 3-4 week in april.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 17:22 »
Yes I keep turning them to the light but i sowed everything in full packets and have over 100 tomato plants, they keep getting tangled. Hope they dont die  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 17:40 »
Have you used tin foil on the inside of them, to reflect light back onto them.

If the leaves touch each other they will get spindly quickly to try to grow away from the competition. As they get bigger you also need to move them further apart  ;)

starry

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 17:54 »

If the leaves touch each other they will get spindly quickly to try to grow away from the competition. As they get bigger you also need to move them further apart  ;)
oo didn't know that shall move mine straight away I dont want any rivalry in my house !!

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 17:57 »
Thanks didnt know that they dont like each other. Will get some foil between them ta  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 18:27 »
Not between - behind!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 18:29 »
Yes I keep turning them to the light but i sowed everything in full packets and have over 100 tomato plants, they keep getting tangled. Hope they dont die  :(

Are all of your 100 plants together in the same pot?
If they are, you need to select the strongest and pot them up into seperate pots.
100 plants will take up a lot of room when large enough to produce tomatoes.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 18:42 »
Mine are about two inches in height, and I just planted them out in the lotty under half coca cola bottle. Hope they survive! And grow roots if it's too cold above ground :tongue2:

Good luck, I will sow another batch any way
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 18:57 »

oo didn't know that shall move mine straight away I dont want any rivalry in my house !!

I didn't know that either. Do love learning new stuff.  Have to admit to feeling like Casper. My living room feels like a forest.  Not just toms but celeriac, soya beans aubergines and thyme.

It does feel nice when they can go outside and it is all tidy again. :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 19:45 »
Haha I knew that, I just like it when you correct me  :tongue2:

xx
Please look at my tomatoes!

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 23:39
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Where did my tomatoes go?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 08:50
by mumofstig
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:13
by shokkyy
xx
Tomatoes - help

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 09:28
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.