Straw

• 7 Replies

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Straw
« on: March 26, 2012, 15:11 »
Would straw work ok as a mulch in the late spring/summer time? I get hay by the bale for my rabbits and can quite easily get a bale of straw as well.

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Straw
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 15:45 »
I'm just about to put some round my raspberries so I'll let you know. I imagine it would need firming down so it doesn't blow all over the place  :) |I'm using barley straw which is supposed to be better but I can't remember why  :D

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 18:10 »
Are you thinking about animal bedding? Barley straw is recommended for that.
I used the chooks barley straw for my strawberry beds last year and had barley sprouting!!!!
Should've harvested it when it started sprouting.....supposed to be really good for you juiced.......

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 21:13 »
I mulch everywhere with straw. Worms love it, keeps weeds down and moisture in. I have never had a problem with it blowing around.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 22:39 »
I'm just about to put some round my raspberries so I'll let you know. I imagine it would need firming down so it doesn't blow all over the place  :) |I'm using barley straw which is supposed to be better but I can't remember why  :D

Thank you. Yes please let me know how it goes!

Are you thinking about animal bedding? Barley straw is recommended for that.
I used the chooks barley straw for my strawberry beds last year and had barley sprouting!!!!
Should've harvested it when it started sprouting.....supposed to be really good for you juiced.......

I know the place where I get hay does barley straw, I think they also do another type. I will have to ask when I go in next. I was thinking of just bog standard straw really.

I mulch everywhere with straw. Worms love it, keeps weeds down and moisture in. I have never had a problem with it blowing around.

Lovely! Thanks. :D

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:10 »
I highly recommend that you not use hay as it's full of seeds of the crops grown, which will quickly germinate as your mulch and take over. (trust me on this)

Straw is the best one for mulching as it's merely the dead stalks of (usually) wheat put to use as bedding.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45 »
I highly recommend that you not use hay as it's full of seeds of the crops grown, which will quickly germinate as your mulch and take over. (trust me on this)

Straw is the best one for mulching as it's merely the dead stalks of (usually) wheat put to use as bedding.

Thank you. I wasn't going to use hay, it's just where I get hay sells straw by the bale as well :)

Is it best to wait until frost threat has passed? I heard someone say it can make frost damage worse.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 16:01 »
It doesn't make it worse, it will simply hold in-ground frost in longer if you mulch before the ground has fully thawed. Once, thawed, it takes a lot to re-freeze the soil so the mulch would act as an insulator.

So, wait until the soil is thawed and then mulch. For 'air' frost, eg evening frost, it doesn't matter as long as the ground is thawed.

xx
Straw

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:40
by Dantheman
xx
The last straw

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 20:49
by Livinhope
xx
Straw use

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 20:55
by WG.
xx
Straw

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 17:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.