glyphosate, yes or no?

Salmo

Re: glyphosate?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47 »
Yes or no what?

bigben

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:05 »
If the answer is yes - another question could be glyphospate - where? I try to avoid spraying the beds I grow stuff in, but am less bothered about paths and targeted edges that are really difficult to get weeds out from. I have two greenhouse bases on my plot. Weeds pop up from gaps in the brickwork. I cannot dig them out but resort to spraying.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07 »
I think Salmo's question should be answered before we proceed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07 »
There'll be tonnes written here about glyphos so I should take time to read the posts and all will become clear  :)

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 13:16 »
I think we all know what the question is, although a little more info within the OP's question would be better an more polite!

Yes, i would and do use Glyphosate.

I only use it when i really need to though and if i need to use around my crops i paint it onto the leaves of the weeds, also when i have lots of crops growing and i need to clear a larger unproductive area i don't spray i use a watering can.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 13:19 by stompy »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 16:25 »
Personally, I think that we need a sensible, balanced and practical solution to this problem. We don't all have the time to weed organically, but nor do we want to compromise our beliefs. Some people are not physically able to dig and remove perennial weeds as they would like. Some, like me, are scared to spray with weedkiller as my cats may get it on their paws. I plan to bottle spray dandelions, etc, with glyphosate and cover them with lawn clippings. If you "spot spray" perennial weeds like this you will save yourself so much trouble later on. Where do we go from here - worry about weeds or enjoy our precious gardening times? Weeds (a plant in the wrong place) are unsightly and seed all around. Weeds can take nutrients from the soil, but if you feed your plants well, then hoe the weeds off....? I don't know the answer to this, but the enjoyment of gardening and reaping its produce, whatever that is, shouldn't be compromised by trying to acheive perfection in our own eyes or others.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dom2599

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 18:11 »
I used this when i first took over my plot, it had not been touched for years, i used this on most of the plot, if it was green it got some, this went all for most of the first year. The plot is now mostly clear

I had cleared a small part by hand to grow something in our first year.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 18:58 »
If you use glyphosate do it carefully according to instructions Then there are no significant side effects The glysophate will in effect become tightly bonded to the soil where it may remain for some time causing no side effects unless it is near a waterway
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 19:01 »
I am happy to use glyphosate once a year on stubborn couch grass on paths / around the side of the plot when it gets too stubbly for my electric strimmer to keep on top of or too tall to manage otherwise.

When showing people round neglected allotment plots, I tend to say to them that there is no shame in using glyphosate at the start of one's allotment journey, so that you can get on top of it and stay on top of it.  Most people want to grow fully organically - and it is wonderful if you have the time and energy to dedicate to that - but if the weeds get on top of you in your first season you will soon lose the will to go down ... leading to never succeeding.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 19:13 »
I don't like to use it as a rule,but I have resorted to using it this year on the new plot I have swapped to. I had no idea how bad the couch grass was on it. If I dig with the fork it's like spaghetti under the soil so I'm using glyphosate to get it under control this year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 19:48 »

Last year, I used it once, at the beginning of the growing season only on path edges and the damn ivy where my 'poly is now.

Looking at what's come back this year (so far), I may not need as much - if at all hopefully.

Except where I'm going to extend some beds into an ever widening path and putting a proper edge on it.

WOODY7

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 20:03 »
i'm planning to use it on my new plot this year ,anybody know the best time to use it i was thinking in the next couple of weeks ?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 20:19 »
I haven't got the time or inclination to weed out stuff like docks, couch and nettles by any other method

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 20:24 »
i'm planning to use it on my new plot this year ,anybody know the best time to use it i was thinking in the next couple of weeks ?

It works best when the plant is actively growing so the next couple of weeks should be fine.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Glyphosate help

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 10:27
by John
xx
Glyphosate

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 11:21
by New shoot
xx
after using glyphosate?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 20:11
by BabbyAnn
xx
glyphosate

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

59 Replies
Last post November 26, 2007, 23:28
by WG.

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 34 queries.