Calabrese question...

• 21 Replies

Growster...

Calabrese question...
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:58 »
We planted a row of 'Belstar' calabrese back in late August, hoping it might last over the winter if the weather stayed reasonably fine.

The heads are forming nicely now, and we had the first one yesterday. The others are catching up as well (despite the clouds of whitefly).

I've never grown this variety before, and it says on the website (we bought the plants from a local nursery), that 'Belstar' is actually an Autumn producing plant.

As they might get clobbered with frost, snow, frogs etc from now on, is it best to take off the heads now, and wait for the side shoots, or just carry on with a regular cropping each few days?

compostqueen

Re: Calabrese question...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25 »
I would cut the main, big heads in their prime and take the side shoots as they appear. They will keep cropping if you keep cutting.  They don't stay in good condition, same as with caulis, so I'd eat them. Lucky you  :D

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 13:51 »
I would cut the main, big heads in their prime and take the side shoots as they appear. They will keep cropping if you keep cutting.  They don't stay in good condition, same as with caulis, so I'd eat them. Lucky you  :D

Many thanks CQ, it makes sense doesn't it, and they also look their best when they're smaller too...!

The side shoots presumably have a bit of shelter from the leaves too.

(After the heavy frost we had last night, I'm hoping the whitefly took a hammering...)

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 18:52 »
your making me envious growster......ime still trying to grow a crop of calabrese then there's the white fly i am yet to find a spray to get rid of these dam pest's

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:28 »
your making me envious growster......ime still trying to grow a crop of calabrese then there's the white fly i am yet to find a spray to get rid of these dam pest's

They're all over the place Rowlands! Sometimes the plot looks like one of those little glass bottles with a snowman and swirling snowflakes swishing around when you shake it...

Mrs Growster has instructed me to cut the calabrese heads into smaller pieces, when we can at least stick them in salty water for the final demise of the dreaded flies!

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 20:06 by Yorkie »

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 14:44 »
for the past couple of weeks are allotment looks like where having a snow storm with them one of old boys told me to add a drop of viniger/salt to the water when you wash your veg kills them must be the acid ?  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 15:49 »
I just ignore them on the veg as they don't seem to do any damage. I like to cover my most at risk crops with Enviromesh as I don't spray. 

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 19:40 »
I just ignore them on the veg as they don't seem to do any damage. I like to cover my most at risk crops with Enviromesh as I don't spray. 
CQ, I'd love to do that, but at £12 a pop, it's prohibitive!

I'm the only bloke on the plots who doesn't seem to have a powered strimmer ... ;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 19:30 »
for the past couple of weeks are allotment looks like where having a snow storm with them one of old boys told me to add a drop of viniger/salt to the water when you wash your veg kills them must be the acid ?  :)

We have the worst ever white fly explosion this year and every brassica is affected  :tongue2:

Kale is the hardest to deal with so I put it in a large bowl of salted water, and weight the leaves down with a pan lid to make sure they are immersed, and leave it overnight or at least a few hours. The I wash them in cold running water.

Gets rid of most of them this way  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 00:18 »
I buy pieces of Enviromesh as I can afford it. I get it by the metre and either a metre or two wide. I don't drink or smoke and buying this mesh is my only vice. Saves on pesticide!  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11 »
I find netting of any sort seems to encourage the foxes to play on my plot, which is a real problem at times, but............I'd rather be troubled by whitefly than by foxes, anyday ::)

I do the soaking thing as well Sunshine :)

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 13:41 »
I splashed out on 50m of enviromesh which was on special offer and hope it will last 10 years which should be cheaper than replacing fleece every couple of years...but it hasn't stopped my brassicas being covered with whitefly dandruff. I can't believe they're getting through the mesh so they most be getting in under the edges. It did keep the butterflies away though. Still getting regular pickings of sideshoots from my calabrese which first headed in August so I agree with compostqueen's advice.

Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 17:09 »
Thanks Allotmentor, they're useful figures to work on, and I suppose that the mesh is an investment, like any other tool, etc!

Washing the whitefly seems to take ages, (as KC says) so we may put it on an economy wash with a mug or Aeriel, and do it overnight on a low heat...;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 20:56 »
Thanks Allotmentor, they're useful figures to work on, and I suppose that the mesh is an investment, like any other tool, etc!

Washing the whitefly seems to take ages, (as KC says) so we may put it on an economy wash with a mug or Aeriel, and do it overnight on a low heat...;0)

Would be well cooked in the morning I guess  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 21:23 »
I reckon we need a recipe book for washing machines KC!

Could be a new trend! Think of the recipes!

I feel another post coming on - will sleep on it...

;0)

xx
Calabrese Question

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 22:46
by Bombers
xx
Calabrese question

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 21:44
by JohnB47
xx
calabrese question

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 17:38
by mushroom
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese? question

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.