my garlics fallen over.!!

• 3 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
my garlics fallen over.!!
« on: June 15, 2011, 17:53 »
hi everyone.just been up to my lotty and noticed that half my garlic has fallen over at the neck.ive also noticed that there are "splits"at the neckso that i can see some of the cloves.its not happend in the last two years .does garlic fall over like onions when its ready?have i left it to long? the bulbs still look healthy and it was over wintered,there's a bit of rust on it and the leaves have died back a bit,shall i harvest it now?has anyone had this problem?sorry for all the questions but i dont want to leave it in to long and lose my crop.ive got about 120 plants.any advice would be helpful thanks. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: my garlics fallen over.!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 17:58 »
If you've got that many then pull one up and see what the bulb is like.
If it's as big as you'd like and started to go papery on the outside, then I get ready to start pulling and drying them off. If they are still a bit on the small size then I'd leave them till the foliage has turned yellow.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 18:45 »
thanks mum,ive pulled one up and its of good size but not at the papery stage yet.i think they still have some room to grow yet but my concerns were more for the ones that had split at the neck and had bent over .do you think these will continue to grow if left in or just harvest these and see how the rest go?

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 19:52 »
I don't want to alarm you but one of mine was leaning over - bent at the neck as you describe. I left it until tonight to dig it up and found that it came up very easily. It had cloved up OK but had gone white and a bit mushy and the roots were mostly gone.

I dug one of the others up and it appears to be perfect - my best garlic yet (over wintered Iberian Wight). Must check my Lautrec Wight next - maybe they're all ready.

I'm not a garlic expert but I would suggest pulling one of those that have fallen over and split. If they're like my one, I'd say get them out of there. In past years, all of my garlic have stayed upright right to the end - they don't fall over like onions, they dry vertically.

xx
Garlics up (and looking good)

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 08:09
by AnneB
xx
Fallen fruit

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 20:06
by muntjac
xx
Rosemarys fallen over!

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 17:05
by flowergirl
xx
Have i fallen behind with my planting out???

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 08:40
by Kristen

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 37 queries.