handling seedlings

• 7 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
handling seedlings
« on: May 07, 2011, 20:00 »
I fear I have killed about half of my january king and broccoli seedlings that I planted out yesterday.  Despite being very gentle, I thought, and handling them by the leaves rather than the stem about half the stems seem to have a break in them, but are still attached,in the process of pricking out.  They did not really have any developed true leaves and I have planted some replacements today.  Is therea any rule about how many true leaves plants should have before being pricked out?  Too impatient again!
John

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: handling seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 20:04 »
I wait until they have two true leaves, from what environment did you move them, e.g. greenhouse, propagator, cold frame etc.?

Sounds like they weren't very sturdy.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 20:06 »
I always wait for a newly grown plant to have enough leaves for me to gently get hold of and a few to spare. Should I damage one then the plant must be able to carry on happily without noticing its missing.

I think I'd wait until brassicas were a couple of inches  (10cm?) tall before I planted them out.

Some plants are so tiny (lobelia for example) that I try not to get hold of them at all but use a small planting tool (a little like a lolly-stick but curved) to lift them and transplant from the seed tray into growing on position / tray. 
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 20:19 »
are you pricking out to larger containers, or planting outside?
If the latter the RHS suggests 5 true leaves for brassicas

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=721

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 20:36 »

I transfer my seedlings with a ball of soil and never touch the plant itself.  Seems to work for me   ::)   Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 20:57 »
You know those little green canes you can buy for pot plants?  I use them to make holes in the compost and then ever so carefully lift a clump of seedlings with a fork (cutlery kind) and gently hold the cotyledons (seed leaves) and tease the seedlings apart by shaking the loose soil off and gently pulling.  Then insert each one into the hole you have made, deeper in the compost if you can, and guiding the roots into the hole with the green cane.  Then gently firm the compost around the seedling with your fingers  or the cane.  I usually then stand the new pots or seed trays in water for a few minutes and leave to drain.  Leave somewhere warm and out of direct sunlight to recover from their ordeal and they should be okay. 

Brassicas do tend to get a bit leggy and seedlng stems are quite vulnerable to breaking - just treat them with kid gloves.  I have been topping up the compost a few days later on my savoy cabbages and purple sprouting, but they are now growing on in pots on a table on the patio, ready for planting out in a few weeks.  Hope that helps. 

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 22:22 »
Thanks all for your excellent and comprehensive advice.  Was transferring them from a seed tray in the  cold frame but obviously they were too immature.  Will know next time.

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 22:31 »
be sure seedlings are well watered a few hours befoer disturbing
R

clip
Seedlings

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 07:19
by blackberryjam
xx
No seedlings at all

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 04:26
by snowdrops
xx
seedlings

Started by bluealf on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:38
by bluealf
xx
What to do with my seedlings

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 17:50
by DD.

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 36 queries.