Another glyphosate Q, just to make sure

• 8 Replies

Goldfinger

Another glyphosate Q, just to make sure
« on: April 14, 2011, 19:48 »

I've had to go down the weedkiller route because I've been doing more hours than normal at work and not had enough time to dig out the weeds so far this season.

I've sprayed the area last weekend, and only had rain that didn't even wet the pavement since.

I've just been down tonight to have a potter (1st time since the spraying) and, the weeds are only just showing yellowing but, I've dug a small weedy area that was also sprayed and the roots were 'dryer than normal' shall we say.

Does this mean the glyphosate is in the roots and has done it's job, and can I now dig / rotorvate the area??

Everything in pots at home is screaming to get into the ground at the moment, and I don't want them to go leggy etc.  :(

fatbelly

Re: Another glyphosate Q, just to make sure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 19:50 »
I have used Glyphosphate before with good results, I think you should leave it about 3 weeks to let it get down to all the roots before cultivating.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 20:32 »
Yes, definitely wait another couple of weeks so the killer gets deep into the roots. Otherwise, when you  rotovate (if that's what you plan to do) you'll only spread live root bits that will repay in numbers. By cutting the roots now, you'll stop any killer reaching the tips.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49 »
Yes, definitely wait another couple of weeks so the killer gets deep into the roots.

Yes wait, to give it the best chance of having worked, but as a general rule make sure not to use this product too early in the season or the weeds won't be up and running properly and the chemical won't have the desired effect.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:56 »
After 10 days the glyphosate will be down to the end of the roots even if the plants are still showing some green. They are technically dead and you can rotovate.

As has been said there may be roots underground that had not sprouted leaves at the time of spraying. They will obviously be unaffected and continue to sprout green leaves.

If you wait 3 weeks before cultivating these leaves may be showing and you can decide that a second spray is needed. You will then need to wait again before cultivating.

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 19:26 »
Yes, definitely wait another couple of weeks so the killer gets deep into the roots.

Yes wait, to give it the best chance of having worked, but as a general rule make sure not to use this product too early in the season or the weeds won't be up and running properly and the chemical won't have the desired effect.

:)

Oh, believe me, they're up and running!  >:( Shin high ATM.

Just had an hour down there tonight and gone and twisted the forks on my fork!  :(
Was told when I took on the plot, it was a former brick works and you get an 'occasional' brick pop up.

Er no, I get what looks like a wall on it's side buried in part of where I was digging. It was only just over a spade depth down and so if it continues all over, I may have to go down the 'No Dig' route to save any more twisty forks.

For once though, I'm glad to be at work tomorrow morning so I can straighten my forks.  :tongue2:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 20:44 »
Twas more of a general note GF..... ;)

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58 »
I woul;d advise two weeks, but you might get away with one week.
At worst, you'll just have to do a bit of manual weeding later on.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Goldfinger

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 20:01 »

Re-read the instructions at the weekend wondering why the weeds weren't yellowing and dying quicker than I thought...

I haven't used a strong enough dosage through my pressure sprayer, I used the dose for watering cans DOH!!  ::)  ::)

Should I re-do it (at the right dose), or just leave it and just let it do it's job just a bit slower?

xx
Got some glyphosate - want to make sure I'm doing it right

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 23:49
by Muddylou
xx
glyphosate

Started by amurdin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 23:38
by amurdin
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua
xx
No Glyphosate R....up

Started by sunnywillow on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 22:25
by sunnywillow

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.