Red chilli already!

• 11 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Red chilli already!
« on: April 13, 2011, 22:44 »
Just wanted to blow my own trumpet (makes a change to asking stupid questions and moaning about all my failures!)

Ive posted a few times on here about my overwintering chilli plants.  Ive got three on the go (limited by space on kitchen window sill).  One is now in its third year and the other two in their second.  They started flowering around Christmas (they pretty much flower / fruit / flower constantly).  Now got a lovely big crop of 3 inch chillis just turning red now. 

Can anyone beat that for an early crop?   8)

Oh, and the freezer has a full tray from the last "round", and I have a load of dried ones from the one before that!

The best thing is, I now know the heat of each plant (if I stick to my watering routine), which makes cooking with them much less of a lottery.

Now, if I could only master courgettes...

lancashiregardeninggal

Re: Red chilli already!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 23:01 »
Wow - that great - when do you feed them and what else do you do - mine seem to be exhausted after only producing a few :ohmy:
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:23 »
Well done kermit! :D

Now, what are those courgettes doing wrong?.....

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:39 »
Wow - that great - when do you feed them and what else do you do - mine seem to be exhausted after only producing a few :ohmy:

My basic rule of thumb is to treat them pretty mean. Water only when wilting and feed only when fruit has set (maybe also once just as fresh growth is kicking out). They are in 5-7inch pots on a sunny south facing kitchen window sill. I don't even bother pruning them.  Each plant has produced at least 15 large chillies each flush. I haven't even repotted them.

As for my courgettes, just don't seem to get a big crop. Tried all the 'big cropping' varieties. They are in well manured raised bed under a musty frame. Decent sun and well watered. Lucky If I get 5-10 courgettes per plant.  Worst thing is, we lurve courgettes!

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56 »
can any chillis be overwintered or is it a special variety?  I would love to try this as we love chillis!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25 »

As for my courgettes, just don't seem to get a big crop. Tried all the 'big cropping' varieties. They are in well manured raised bed under a musty frame. Decent sun and well watered. Lucky If I get 5-10 courgettes per plant.  Worst thing is, we lurve courgettes!

Maybe you're treating them too well, perhaps you should try bunging them in somewhere. ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00 »

If you are getting a lot of fruits which appear to set but then rot off from the flower end you probably have a pollination problem.

If that is the case hand-pollinating with a small paint brush will help you join the "almost embarrassed by my courgette glut" club!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Robster

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57 »
Kermit,
Inspirational I am going to try this this year and over winter some.  Do you reckon its better to use only pot grown plants to overwinter or have you dug any out of border soil?  Can you also sow in say August and just keep the young plants over winter and then expect an early crop from the window sill

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09 »
I don't think polination is a problem. From memory I just don't get that many flowers, especially female flowers. Always seem to get White mildew on leaves - wonder if that is causing it.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14 »
Kermit,
Inspirational I am going to try this this year and over winter some.  Do you reckon its better to use only pot grown plants to overwinter or have you dug any out of border soil?  Can you also sow in say August and just keep the young plants over winter and then expect an early crop from the window sill

No - check my location! Outside chillies?!  Chilly outside more like (sorry!)

They have always been in pots inside. And always started from seed in mid - late feb. I would think they need a full growing season and light to get established and big.

Oh and Jay has reminded me, I also hand polinate each flower (just with a finger, none of that paint brush nonsense!)

The other benefit is that they are very pretty plants and flowers (and fruit) so wife doesn't mind!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:24 »
I don't think polination is a problem. From memory I just don't get that many flowers, especially female flowers. Always seem to get White mildew on leaves - wonder if that is causing it.

Glad it was you who started this thread because we've made a real dog's dinner of it between us haven't we!   ::)

I've never not had mildew on my courgettes but it normally arrives long after me, my friends and neighbours have got fed up with them.

Mildew is a rather strange affliction in that dry soil encourages it but so does excessive humidity around the leaves (perhaps the air underneath the Munty frame is a bit too still and humid for them.......................?)

bappelbe

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36 »
Hi
Well done on red chillis!! I have 1 green one on my 2 overwintered plants.
What type are yours? mine are Cheyenne.
I also do very little except put them on a sunny window sill.

As for courtgette I also get mildew each year. I find that spraying them with a 10:1 mix of water to milk keeps it at bay for a while and of course cutting away any leaves that are beyond rescue. The milk only stops it spreading it does not kill the mildew.

Bill

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
Chilli's

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 19:14
by whippersnapper
xx
Chilli's once more.

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 16:46
by jb

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 36 queries.