Melons

• 18 Replies

mclarkuk1

Melons
« on: April 06, 2011, 14:38 »
Im thinking about growing some melons.

Do people have preferences on certain types etc, what are good varieties to look for?

Ive never grown melons before but im up for giving it ago, my GF likes watermelons and i like the sweeter (yellow/orange) melons so im looking at trying both types.

Can you get different types for growing outside or in greenhouses? Im thinking of growing them in my greenhouse providing they dont take up masses amounts of space as I will already have 7 tomato,2 aubergines, 2 cukes already in an 8x6 greenhouse  :unsure:

Thanks

Matt

Lottie Mary

Re: Melons
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 14:48 »
Hi Matt,

I too am going to try growing melons for the first time this year.  I've got two varieties to try - Honeydew and a funny sort I found on the real seeds website called "Minnesota Midget" (how can you not buy that?!).  From what I've read - melons like heat, so it would appear the greenhouse is the best option.  I'm not sure about how much they spread, etc, but I think some varieties can be trained to climb upwards?? perhaps one of the more experienced members on here can advise..

Good luck  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 17:26 »
I recommend Sweetheart. It regularly manages 4 melons, or more, per plant even when I neglect it and don't hand-pollinate it.  I've grown lots of other Cantaloupe etc varieties and even in the years where I have managed carefully mollycoddling getting 4 melons per plant has been rare!

I grow mine up a cane by the glass (and I have some horizontal wires so I can train the side shoots sideways). I plant them 2' apart along the glass, so they don't need all that much space).

Grew Watermelon once, but it was during a year when I did almost zero mollycoddling, and they didn't fare very well, so I can't advise on that. They trailed all over the greenhouse though, so I reckon they do need a lot of room.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 17:28 by Kristen »

tallulah

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 20:04 »
I bought some melon seeds from a market in Italy, and altho I can't read the Italian instructions, I think these ones grow on the flat.  You can but try, and its always worth giving something a go.  Would imagine that under glass is the best option.

Gandan57

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 22:27 »
Kristen, can you give more info on your method, growing medium, fertilizer, watering etc. Thanks.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 22:40 »
Kristen, can you give more info on your method, growing medium, fertilizer, watering etc.

Raised in a small seed tray in a propagator (but a 3" pot with 4 seeds in a plastic bag on a windowsill, or airing cupboard, would do.

I prick out to 3" pots, and then pot on when large enough to 4.5" / 2 then 6" and finally  9" pots (depending how well they do, how "good" the Spring season is!). They live in the unheated conservatory (which is sheltered, minimum temperature 10C)

Then I plant out in the unheated-greenhouse border (but 12" pots, growbags, etc would do) around mid May.

I train as per the packet - which I think is to a certain height, then pinch out, let the laterals grow, pinch them out at 4 leaves but, like I said, that's from memory so you'll need to check - its SOMETHING like that!

I then fertilize the female flowers when they appear.  You can use a small artist's paintbrush, but I never have mine when I need it! so I just break off a Male flower and push it into the female flower [such that I can then just leave it there]

Support any fruit that develops (pair of old tights, or similar) as the fruits are too heavy for the plant to support on its own (although would be fine if the plant was sprawling across the ground)

I feed with same stuff (i.e. Potash-rich) as the Tomatoes get.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 22:43 by Kristen »

shay

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30 »
Is it possible to grow outside, considering we have such hot weather at the moment? I have no space in my greenhouse but a neighbour has given me some plants. If its a definite no would rather allocate my ground space to something else.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42 »
I would think it would be too late to grow melons outside now, I have 3 in the greenhouse lots of flowers but not setting and so don't think I'll get any fruit now.
Paul

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 14:47 »
This is my second year with melons. Last year I had two in a 6*3 coldframe and no shade, - toast after 48 hours.

This year I bought two plants, Sweatheart, rather than raise from seed. Put one in the cold frame with some shading until it was established and one in a pot in the tunnel.

The cold frame one is definately spindly and showing no sign of setting, the tunnel one is much stronger and has one fruit about the size of a tennis ball and one about the size of a marble.

I didn't hand polinate anything because I can't see the difference between male and female flowers, they all look just the same to me.

Not sure if that helps.
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 17:50 »
OK, melon seeds bought, and ready to give it a try! Anyone had any success with growing them this far north (and east!)? Can't remember the variety, but I was sold on the fact it mentioned it was bred for UK growing.... the question is, do they mean Kent or all of the UK  :)

Although my seeds only cost 50p in the sale, what really surprised me was the price they were originally - £4 for 4 seeds  :ohmy: Considering how many seeds there are in one melon, I was quite shocked (and most likely would not have bought them full price!)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 17:54 »
Are they an F1 variety?  I would expect them to be, so you can't just use the seeds from the grown fruit for future packets.  They are carefully bred to as to guarantee certain genetical components.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 21:42 »
It's my first time this year growing melons. Well actually it's my first time growing anything.
I grew Orange Sherbett and Sweetheart inside and out and here's how they've done.
The Orange Sherbett flowered late and produced nothing. The two Sweetheart plants have produced seven melons between them. All grown in an unheated greenhouse in a growbag with growpots, fed with Tomorite when flowering. I tied the stems in as they grew and pinched out when they reached the roof. Should have done this at about 12inch high. I did try to hand pollinate but the male flowers (without bump behind them) are so tiny you can't see any pollen on the brush. I did keep trying but I think the bees pollinated them. There didn't seem to be a mass of foliage so lots of air got around them. I sprayed with water ever now and then for humidity. The fruit is just about cricket ball size. I also planted two Sweetheart plants outside to see how the would do and zilch - they died. I grew another three in plastic greenhouses. They grew and eventually grew flowers but produced nothing. You also must have ventilation or the mildew gets them and if it's too hot and dry the red spidermite does. Spraying deters this but don't spray too much. There's another thread under Greenhouse and Pollytunnels re: Melon and expert advice in there. Hope this helps.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:09 »
OK, melon seeds bought, and ready to give it a try! Anyone had any success with growing them this far north (and east!)? Can't remember the variety, but I was sold on the fact it mentioned it was bred for UK growing.... the question is, do they mean Kent or all of the UK  :)

Although my seeds only cost 50p in the sale, what really surprised me was the price they were originally - £4 for 4 seeds  :ohmy: Considering how many seeds there are in one melon, I was quite shocked (and most likely would not have bought them full price!)

My Sweetheart melons have done quite well in the greenhouse, although I'm guessing they would have done even better with a longer, warmer growing season so I can't imagine they would have enjoyed being grown outdoors here in Sheffield.

The really tender summer crops like cucumbers, sweetcorn, and melons need everything going for them to really thrive; the further north you are the less likely you are to have the ideal conditions for them, but hey, next year is definitely going to be perfect for everything everywhere!  :)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56 »
That's good to know JayG!  :lol:

The variety I have bought are Edonis F1, and I'm planning to grow in an unheated, 4' tall cold-frame, which is on a south facing wall of the house.

I still find the price of the seeds astounding. £4 for 4 seeds!! Even if they are specially bred F! varieties, I am guessing the seeds are collected from a plant on which several melons grow, each melon with, say 200-300 seeds in....  ::)

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 22:26 »
I had a go with Minnesota Midget outdoors this year, after someone at work reported success with an outdoor melon in Yorkshire.

Well, it didn't do very well, quite spindly.  Then it got eaten by slugs.

No melons grew.

Will only try in a greenhouse in future, especially this far north.

xx
help.melons

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 19:07
by mrsbean
xx
melons

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 15:28
by duncan
xx
Melons

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 11, 2006, 12:06
by Oliver
xx
Melons

Started by Honeysuckle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 21:01
by tam

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 32 queries.