Manure and potatoes

• 16 Replies

TheSpartacat

Re: Manure and potatoes
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 23:16 »
Here's some interesting advice from Cornell university:
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/orgmatter/index.html

They mention the usual concerns about weed seeds, plant burn, nitrogen... but then state to be on the safe side to avoid any pathogens:
"To be safe, either compost your manure or apply it in the fall after harvest. Wash your hands after handling manure and try to leave at least 120 days between application of fresh manure and harvest of a crop."

Everyone, and i mean everyone, including the guys who've been plotting for years, on my site has fresh manure spread on their beds right now... the straw and "horse buns" type. I posted a query on this a few months ago, and this week seeing even more beds with even fresher manure.... Of course it flies in the face of what i thought... but I can't deny there's also been some pretty impressive spud crops from these people last year. So... i can replete nitrogen with some nettle tea?

Zippy

Re: Manure and potatoes
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 23:55 »
I put 80 sq ft of ground under 10 cubic feet of compost, made of weed and veg choppings, seaweed, lawn mowings and rabbit hutch bedding and toilet sawdust and of course Starbucks coffee grounds.

It makes a depth of about 8 inches which I plant my potatoes straight into.

Then when the leaves start to show through I just keep topping up with lawn mowings and hutch cleanings to keep the light off the growing tubers. The harvest is clean and largely soil free and all without poo apart from bunny currants!

The following year is squashes and sweetcorn so I don't bother digging anything under - just plant straight into the settled compost.

Hope this helps.

xx
manure and potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 14:04
by diggerjoe
xx
manure+potatoes

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 07:43
by arh
xx
manure 'n' potatoes

Started by greg.t on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 18:29
by compostqueen
xx
manure on potatoes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 19:42
by DavidT

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 30 queries.