Reusing compost after blighted tomatoes have been grown in it.

• 3 Replies

ronfred

I usually re-use the compost from the troughs in my greenhouse which have had tomatoes and peppers growing in them.  I keep the compost as I dispose of plants during October and November and then use it to grow new potatoes in old compost bags the following spring.  This has always worked well in the past, but this year I had some blight on the tomatoes in the greenhouse in September.  I took off leaves and any affected stems quickly and most of the tomato plants recovered without losing any tomatoes.  The Marmande were badly affected so I disposed of plants and compost. Would it be safe to re-use the compost from the surviving plants for potato growing?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Reusing compost after blighted tomatoes have been grown in it.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 16:44 »
Hello Ronfred and welcome to the forums!

The scientists tell us that blight spores only overwinter on live plant tissue (e.g. infected spuds left in the ground.)

Despite that, having experienced the destructive effects of blight I would be very cautious about compost re-use, especially for growing potatoes, as the same fungus is responsible for both potato and tomato blight.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ronfred

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 17:01 »
Thank you for your reply.  I did realise that it is the same blight that affects both which is why I was asking. I presume that it would be safe therefore to reuse the compost on my garden instead except where I might plant tomatoes next year?

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 17:28 »
Mine usually goes to mulch the perennial flowers.  I figure that it cant have much goodness left in it after the tomatoes are done, but it makes a good mulch and is quite separate from anything that could suffer from any remaining spores ....  like JayG, better safe etc.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 07:47
by Growster...
xx
spent growbag compost from blighted tomatoes

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 20:40
by mumofstig
xx
Reusing Compost

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
Blighted tomatoes on neighbouring plot......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 21:35
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.