Tomatilla pollination problems. Help

• 12 Replies

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
Tomatilla pollination problems. Help
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:35 »
I have successfully grown 6 tomatilla plants from seed outside in a full sun spot.
Tomatillas are grown on America/mexico for salsa. They come out in a papery husk and looked interesting so they have become this years 'interesting plant project'.

Tall and straggly with flowers I am proud of what I have acheived so far BUT no fruit. Hover flies and other pollinators visit but nothing sticks. The flowers die and drop off.

I have read that it could be a problem but even fiddling about with a feather doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas

gillie

Re: Tomatilla pollination problems. Help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43 »
I have grown Tomatillos successfully several times without any pollination problems but always in a greenhouse along with tomatoes.  I seem to remember that they are self-sterile, but since you have several plants that should not be a problem.

I guess you will just have to wait and see.

Gillie

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 19:09 »
I have grown tomatillos in my greenhouse for the last two years and it does seem to be a problem to get them pollinated. They have been flowering since June with bees working the flowers, but it has only been in the last week that I have seen a flower setting fruit.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 18:05 »
Thanks for the replies. I will have to be patient.

The tomatillos are positioned next to tubs of tomatoe outside  which have fruited so there is plenty of buzz and activity which should produce something.

I'll let them straggle on and perhaps whisper to them in Mexican.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33 »
I've been rather disappointed with my tomatillos too. They are fruiting now but on the 10 surviving plants there are only about 5/6 fruits each (though they've flowered profusely all Summer).
 I also found the stems to be very brittle and the plants quite straggly (I lost several plants through breakage moving them from  conservatory to garden).
I just hope the salsa I hope to make compensates for the space they've taken up!

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 16:21 »
Missy Cat,

Thanks for your response. The rain has bashed my stragglers a bit but they're flowering still - without fruit-.

How long have you had your plants going and when did you plant them? Are they outdoors.

Mine might do better in the allotment where the climate is more humid. They're in a box so I can move them.

Nevertheless I am disappointed.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 17:57 »
I started the seeds in March and up until 2 weeks ago they were in the conservatory (NE facing) then I moved some outdoor as they were taking over (that's when I lost plants to breakage). Don't think I'll try them at the allotment as they wouldn't survive the winds there.

My problem now is knowing when to pick them...the packet says 'before they turn yellow'... not really all that helpful. I've checked one of the bigger husks and the fruit is about the size of  a cherry tomato with a sticky green skin. Inside it smells quite pea like, has pale seeds forming just under the skin and the centre is furry  like the inside of a broad bean pod. No idea if it's ready.  Is it ready?

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 20:50 »
Missy cat

Well I'm firing blanks down here so I can't comment but it sounds like you're on track for some fruit.  My tomatillo haven't been around as long as yours so may be I'm being impatient.

Mine were planted in May and now stand about 2 to 2 half feet tall and v. straggley.  Some where along the line they got a bug and some of the top leaves have a chewed up 'elephant man' air about them. But, still plenty of flowers.

How tall were yours when they started to produce.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 13:55 »

I've grown these as an "interesting plant" experiement and they are now on my "never again" list...lots of fruit, but huge...probably 10ft tall, and trying to get out the top of my little greenhouse...

Taking up too much space, had to tie them up, but probably about 30 fruits, encased in the papery husks, apperently ripe when these go brown and dry...which mine haven't yet.

Think it'll be a pretty meagre salsa...but perhaps they'll compliment my sweet peppers...?!

Phill ???

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 18:07 »
Thanks for your reply. Cheshire.

Despite wearing a sombrero and strumming a guitar around their container these tomatillos are fast becoming a 'never again' interesting plant category too.

10' feet tall, wow, that's alot of salsa.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 21:53 »
 :D :) :lol: :lol:

Riba riba riba!!!

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 20:27 »
To the small band of tomatilla growers who have followed this short thread I must disclose the unsuprising news that I have uprooted my tomatilla plants, tall , straggly and without fruit and officially 'given up'.

Next years interesting plant project?

Give me some ideas.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 21:10 »
I lied. I kept three good ones and moved them to a spot of hotter sun with shelter. The rest I threw away.

I am immensely proud to say that I have now two tomatillo fruit with an abundance of flowers on the remaining plants.

The plants obviously need hot sun, room for roots to grow to support extensive plant growth and some patience before they provide pollen for pollinators.

I thank you

xx
Tomatilla pollination: A solution. Hem hem

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:14
by japagow
xx
sweetcorn pollination

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2014, 22:22
by gavinjconway
xx
Pollination of Squash ? How to know ??

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 09:10
by bigben
xx
pollination question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 19:37
by gobs

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 34 queries.